Galvanized steel brew ware

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Galvanized steel brew ware

Post by jayhawk »

Does anyone know of any reasons why glavanized steel could not be used as a mash tun or a brew kettle? (For those who don't know, galvinized steel is zinc coated steel). It seems to me that the $20 galvanized steel garbage cans at the local hardware store would make great brew kettles or mash tuns. They hold 75L! The only issue I could think of was the slightly acidic pH of wort.

(PS I posted this in the classic forum too.)
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I wouldn't try heating one!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If I am on the same page as you... the corrugated galvanized steel garbage cans with the metal loop handles... they are awfully thin and would most likely distort when heated and could possibly burn through if using open flame, sort of like overheating aluminum foil. I also think it would be hard to use bulkhead fittings to install valves on these because the metal is thin and would definitely warp from repeated heating and cooling resulting in leaks because the seals would not stay flush.

If you are looking for high volume boils (>20 ga.), the best way is to convert a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel. It may take a bit of looking around to find one, but they are available used. The last one I picked up was $50.

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by jayhawk »

I think you are probably right on the heating side of things. But do you think the can would just become too malleable from the heat of a mash in the can, even without direct heat added to it?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash MIGHT be ok...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

You were somewhat general in your post...

When I see people discussing large volume home brewing on that scale, they usually encompass a heatable mash tun in the design. But, the answer is yes, it would probably work as a mash tun. But for how long? They are easily dented and with the type of weight you are talking about mashing, will, over time, distort the base walls leading to the same bulkhead sealing problem. I'd find another way!

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
DreamWeaver
Light Lager
Light Lager

NO to Galvanized Metal For Brewing!

Post by DreamWeaver »

I am a BBQ meat smokin fool! And a few years back I did'nt want to drag my large BBQ Smokin unit to a camp site, so I looked into something portable and cheap. I found evidence that galvanized metal trash cans are lined with zinc and can give off toxic fumes at temps above 175*f. Meat smoking is done around 220*f. If galvanized cans could be used for meat smoking or food grade vessels, I think someone would have mass produced the inferior products by now. I would do more research before I went using a galvanized can for brewing. I'm not trying to be negative here, Just trying to keep ya safe! 8)
Four More Beers!... Four More Beers!... Four More Beers! ...
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks for the heads up

Post by jayhawk »

Thanks for the heads up. Still looking in to it.