Sparging equip.

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Mark

Sparging equip.

Post by Mark »

Hi everyone, my name is mark and im new to the site. I would like to ask about sparging. I have a rectangular cooler and would like to make up a copper false bottom (its a 26litre rectangular). Is the design as crucial as everyone says??? I have read john palmers book and his description and instructions shoot way over my head!! Any advice would be appreciated.
T_n_T

Alternative to false bottom.

Post by T_n_T »

I build a zap-pap(see Papazians book) years ago and it was adequate, but I never got a good sparge.

A couple months ago, I got a cooler, and purchased a T shaped screen that attaches to a bulkhead fitting. Works like a charm. I used Bazooka screen and Weld-B-Gone bulkhead by Zymaco, but there are other brands, and you can make your own bulkhead cheaper(see http://www.texanbrew.com/index.php?topic=gadgets)

I'm not telling you not to make a false bottom, but you don't have to.
ekarmst

Yes and No

Post by ekarmst »

John Palmer of "How to Brew" fame wrote an article in Zymurgy on the flow dynamics of a manifold. Basically you need enough pipe to keep the pipes evenly spaced no further then 2 inches apart. Most systems I have seen run the pipes length wise. I made my manifold prior to the article and ran my pipes across the bottom in a loop so it resembles a radiator in an old house. Like this [||||]- I butted the tees togther so the pipes are space no further apart then the width of two tees. Do not soider the fittings as the leaking joints add to the surface area of the false bottom. I tied everything together with copper or brass. Basically, more pipe = less channeling, less tannin extraction and higher efficiency. The screen bottoms I have seen are more likely to channel and lead to increased tannin extraction than manifolds, but people would argue this conclusion. What ever you do, forget about efficiency numbers and brew to make good beer. If your final runnings (from your mash tun)are above 1.012 than you have done a good job.

Good luck,

Eric
Pumpy

Sparging equipment

Post by Pumpy »

I never had much luck with the plastic false bottom , Eric has the right idea with the copper manifold.it works a treat .
The Palmer book is my 'bible' but dont worry for the first couple of batches they will be fine, just dont be so pedantic that you dont start cuz it all sounds too technical onece I got going I was suprised what good results I was getting .Pumpy