Williams All Grain Setup

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

Williams All Grain Setup

Post by Shaft42 »

I am in the market for some all grain equipment. Any one have any info on the all grain setup sold by Williams?
capper

I use it, and I like it, no I love it!!

Post by capper »

I just started all graining after xmas 2003. My wife bought me the William's All Grain Set up for xmas.

So, I am new with the all grain and have so far done 3 all grain batches. I know there are set ups with coolers and stuff for all grain that can run around 150 dollars. I didn't see the point to it because the williams kit is only 80 dollars and for me works just as good as the coolers. They are telling the truth when they say there mash jacket will hold temperature. In a 90 minute mash I lost only 1 degree.

THE DOWN SIDE: I was a little disappointed with the hose set up. Both the mash tun and sparge water tank have a hole in the bottom for the tygon tube. You just squeeze the tube in the hole, there is no seal or anything. Then you connect the tubing to the valve.... Anyway, it really doesn't leak as long as your carefull not to pull on it during you brewing. I have only had minor leakage. Other than that I think the system is awsome.

My efficience is kind of low but that is probably because I am a new to all grain brewing. My target OG was 1.045 for my last batch and I ended up at 1.041. I am going to add a little extra grain to make up for the slightly low efficiency.

In my opinion, the other entry level systems that are more expensive then williams system offer no advantages or value. If I was doing it again, I would still choose williams system.

Good Luck,
Mike

p.s. I am not sure if the system would be large enough to get into 10gal batches. That may be another disadvantage. For me, thats OK.
Shaft42
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks

Post by Shaft42 »

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I think I will give it a shot.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

That's what I use

Post by BarleyMan »

My wife (angel that she is) got the system for me because she knew I'd been wanting to all graing for over a year. She had NO clue what all to buy, but found an old Williams Catalogue laying around and bought their system. I agree with capper that it's a great starter. I have ideas about how I'll upgrade someday, but that is low, low priority since the system works well. I'm experimenting with a better way to attach the hoses to avoid the problem capper mentioned, but I've never had a real leakage problem, just frustration with getting it together. Enjoy!