question about star san and PBW

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

question about star san and PBW

Post by joemez »

I recently got my wife into wine making and want to know if I can sanitize with the same products as I use for making beer. I like star san and PBW and it would be nice to use the same for wine and beer. The brew and wine guy isn't familiar with them and recommended something different.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Wine

Post by BillyBock »

I'm not completely up on winemaking, but if I recall they add a microbial inhibitor directly to the must. From what I've read, wine is procedurally simpler than making beer, including sanitation. I believe the equipment just needs to be clean, not necessarily sanitized. Although sanitizing would be an extra step that wouldn't hurt. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use PBW and Star San to help out there. I came across this link:

http://www.joyofwine.net/wine101.htm

Hope it helps.
v/r
Bill
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yup you are OK?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi Joe,

I make between 20-30 gallons of wine per year (around 150 bottles) which lasts me throughout the year. I use Brew King Selection 15 liter kits. I have been doing this for two years now and use PWB for everything (beer and wine) equipment and bottles. Billy was right the Sodium Metabisulfite (or Campden tablets) that you will be using for whole grape processing will kill any unwanted bacteria. Write back if you need more info, or can supply the type of wine your honey will be making (kit or whole grape). I have found this wine forum that is really helpful http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Paul.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

They Are Fine!...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

You can use the agents with any fermentation in mind. The PBW is a very effective cleanser that rinses easily and the Star San (an acid anionic sanitizer) that is no rinse, will work great, particularly in glass fermenters.

Follow all the sanitation rules just like you do in beer. Even though the must will be low in pH and may have been sulfited during production, it CAN get infected, particularly by lactic acid producing bacteria. Remember... if the must was sulfited to a level that would preclude bacterial growth, it would not ferment very well because the yeast would be affected by the sulfite as well! The must kits most susceptible to problems from inadequate sanitization of equipment are those intended to produce sweeter wines since they have a higher amout of residual sugars remaining after fermentation.

Eric
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks

Post by joemez »

I appreciate all the input.
Joe