Sprite/7Up keg odor/taste

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sprite/7Up keg odor/taste

Post by BarleyMan »

I've been told that if I'm going to get into kegging, I should NEVER buy old Sprite, 7 UP, or Rootbeer kegs as these tend to have an odor or flavor associated with those sodas that is impossible to remove and it will cause an off flavor to lighter beers in particular. Does anyone have any experience with this, or comments for removing the odor? Seems to me that when you order from online you can't be sure what the kegs once held. Thanks for your insights.
want_2_party

Replace all rubber

Post by want_2_party »

As long as you replace all the gaskets, you shouldn't have a problem with the kegs. You can get rebuild kits from a couple places online. They usually include all new gaskets. The best price I've found so far is at www.rcbequip.com.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My experience

Post by jayhawk »

I have used Sprite/7UP kegs successfully without changing the gaskets. The beer tasted great as usual. 99.99999% of the keg is stainless steel, so the beer is in contact with that almost all the time. The main gasket from the 7UP/Sprite one did have a mild soft drink odour, but the thing never touches the beer anyway, so who cares! I know that replacing the gaskets is a common suggestion, but as long as they are in good physical shape I don't see a problem. Rootbeer might be a different story than sprite though.

I wouldn't bother spending money on "reconditioned" kegs, as these are simply kegs with new gaskets. Online they will cost 2-3 times more than non "reconditioned" kegs. Gasket sets can be purchased cheaply online and you can "recondition" the keg on your own if you want. The best source I think for kegs is a local restaurant that uses the kegs for their soda fountain. Just offer to pay them the deposit ($10) on the keg and you should be able to acquire it for your use. It worked for me, and I avoided paying markup and shipping costs.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sprite / 7 UP

Post by fitz »

These kegs are easier to clean than the cola kegs.
Your source was wrong on that one. Rootbeer on the other hand is nasty. Avoid them. Without being able to turn the whole keg inside out to get every nook, there will be off flavors left. Another bit of info. do a darker beer in the kegs first. If there is any taste or residue left after thorough cleaning, the darker beer should make the keg more beer like.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks to all who replied

Post by BarleyMan »

I appreciate the comments you all sent. With the info presented, I'll be buying kegs shortly in a bid to get this refrigerator I just bought kegorated! Thanks.

May your glasses be full, your friendships many, and the boil robust in your pots!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You rock Barleyman

Post by jayhawk »

That is one of the best signoffs I seen in a while! Good luck with the kegeration of the kegerator....
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

in case you didn't know

Post by xbrewer »

The $10 deposit does not cover the cost of the keg. What you are suggesting is illegal. The keg belongs to the beverage company not the resturaunt owner.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Talked to pepsi

Post by jayhawk »

I actually called the local Pepsi bottling plant to ask if they could supply me with some kegs. They told me to talk to a local restaurant and get them to order an extra couple kegs and just pay the restaurant the deposit. Seems like they don't seem to mind. Besides, pepsi and coke market directly to our kids in order to reap ridiculous profits, leaving parents, teachers etc to deal with the health and behavioural consequences of essentially drug addicted kids (sugar and caffienne). If it wasn't for the caffiene in pop people would fall asleep about an hour after drinking pop due to the incredible rush of glucose which is followed by an incredible energy low. In my mind they are as bad as cigarette companies, which also target youth and get them addicted. What they do should be illegal (not selling pop, but direct marketing to youth, which involves sophisticated psycological techniques to stimulate desire). A few kegs out of their system doesn't mean squat.
BarleyMan
Light Lager
Light Lager

My turn to say "you rock"

Post by BarleyMan »

Jayhawk, I couldn't agree more. I taught high school in Jersey before moving further west to jump back into my own educational pursuits. Because I taught biology, I could easily justify banning drinks/food from my class. I know it didn't make a big difference in the scheme of things, but I liked to think I was giving their bodies (and maybe their next period teachers) a break from the sugar buzz. Thanks for your inputs.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Another thing

Post by fitz »

Good point Jayhawn.
What no one else figures is that one it costs Pepsi and Coke a bunch of money to clean the kegs and to collect them. Both companies are trying to phase out the Corny use and to begin using Bag in box distribution. Many places that have P and C say it is rediculous to try and get either to collect their empties. Many are discarded, and most places don't even get charged the deposit. The place I got mine from doesn't pay a deposit, doesn't get the old ones picked up often, and was quite happy I was taking them. You have to wonder how clean fountain pop is if the kegs sit around that long before they are picked up, then, how long do they sit at the distribution center and plant. Many of Nastys would like to get the sugar from a soda can.