Adding a second keg

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Ken Montgomery

Adding a second keg

Post by Ken Montgomery »

I've recently started kegging my beer and want to add a second keg to my 20 lb. CO2 setup. What's the easiest, least expensive method of adding the second keg. I suspect this means adding another "gas in" line, but what other adapters are needed and where's the best place to buy the necessary parts?
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

CO2 parts.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Ken,

You have all sorts of options. If you want to pressureize both kegs equally you can ether cut the line (if you have barbed fittings) or add a two or multiple port adaptor at the regulator. If you want more control add a valve on each line. If you want to make the lines easier to change use threaded fitting on the hose ends.

If you have a "real" hardware store in your area they might have all the parts,if not try a Home Depot or Lowes. Another place would be a welding supply (where you get your CO2). Lastly you could check the large mail order home brew supply houses (Beer,Beer & More Beer, Larry's, Homebrew Heaven, Northern Brewer). There are also wholesale places that sell to the trade, if you live close to a micro or brew pub stop in and talk to the brewer. He may even give you the parts or sell them to you cheap. Now if you need different pressures you may think about another regulator. You can remove the bottle fitting and slave them in series. Try the easy (cheap) steps first.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Minimalist setup

Post by jayhawk »

I have a somewhat crude setup in my cellar for my kegs. No fancy kegerator or anything. I have found that the keg doesn't need to be hooked up to the CO2 constantly. So far I have had three different kegs functional at one time, serving three different beers. I just put the pressure on each keg, drink, and top up the pressure as needed. Voila, only one gas line. This reason this works well is because the kegs are easily accessed since they just sit in the cellar. I am not confined by a fridge or anything. ONe day when i have space I will have the deluxe deal, but for now I gotta work within my limits. Not sure of your setup, but this works fine for me.

Chris
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I had the same problem ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Ken,

Santa brought me a really cool gas line splitter 1 out of my C02 and three lines in to my kegs. Cost around $17.00 for line manifold, and $4.89 for each addition gas line ball lock. Go to http:/www.homebrew.com it's Homebrew Adventures in Charlotte NC ... They have good stuff. The Gas line mainfold I found at beer, beer, and more beer, was around $40 ... good luck,

Paul.
sphbeer

4 way manifold

Post by sphbeer »

I have 8 kegs pressurized at one time. I have two co2 tanks hooked to two 4 way manifolds (part number D1810 at morebeer.com). It works great, they have 2 way, 3 way, whatever you want.

Steve