Homemade Equipment

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

OK I'm gonna try it

Post by joemez »

I have been buying kits (with steeping grains and hops and all that, not can kits) up until now but I want to backpedal a bit and get a simple extract recipe without steeping grains. I know I know, the grains add alot but I am finding it harder and harder to find time to brew so I want to reduce the brew time a bit. If you guys can advise a simple recipe (I like pale ales the most)for a 10 gallon batch I would like to try it.
OH and to answer Billys question about my wort chiller, I use a counterflow and gravity feed from a fitting I welded in the side(I just have to tip it toward the end to get it all).
I will have to make another fermentation chiller now though.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Joemez Pale-Ale

Post by fitz »

Use a good extract if you are going this way.
I like Williams brewings German Pils(very light) or German gold or Marris Otter for a medium colored. Take two 6 lb pouches of one of these, ands a three lb pouch of amber DME
1.5 oz of Fuggle bittering 1 Oz Willamette flavoring, and 1 oz. aroma.
use a clean finish yeast For a lighter beer, substitute the amber DME with light or extra light.
brewmaster808
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by brewmaster808 »

I see looks like no one has answered your question. Take a look at my website made almost everything from scratch.
yakimicki
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by yakimicki »

a note on glass carboys....
I have 2 glass carboys, 6.5 gallons... Guess what i use for primary and secondary fermentation? I use 2 - 6gallon plastic fermentors w/ spigots. It is so much easier w/ the plastic and unless you are keeping it in the secondary for longer than 2 weeks, oxygen will not beome a factor. Live long and brew beer.