Question on converting a dorm fridg to a kegerator

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Kilerclown
Light Lager
Light Lager

Question on converting a dorm fridg to a kegerator

Post by Kilerclown »

I was lucky enough to get a used tall dorm fridge from a family member and have a question on its conversion. I have already removed all the shelves but now am wondering about the cooling tray at the top (where the ice cube tray would sit). The keg squeezes in but when I hook up the gas lines its too tall. Is there any way of moving/cutting/bending/etc. that tray without ruining the whole fridge. Thanks.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Freon lines, coils?

Post by fitz »

Are there any freon lines or coils attached to the shelf? If not, you may be safe. Stay away from the lines and coils, and don't try to bend them they are usually very brittle.
Good Luck!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Did someone say \"Freon\"?

Post by Freon12 »

Cutting ...No. Bending maybe, moving to the back, hard to do.

The coil at the top is the cooling for the whole thing and yes it carries refrigerant in the formed channels of that shelf. Fitz is correct about it being brittle and leaving them alone, unless you know an a/c type guy that likes homebrew.;)

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I knew I could

Post by fitz »

I knew I could count on your back up Steve.
My boss got a great idea that he was going to help the defrost process along on our office fridge. (large dorm fridge) he started to chip out some of the ice, and bam there goes the freon tube. He didn't even touch it. Just the vibration of him hitting the ice cracked the tube.
I had a very old dorm fridge when I was in college. The tray wasn't the cooling system, but you could tell that right away. Therewas a seperate plate above the "freezer" Man was that a great fridge. Would freeze anything that didn't have alcohol in it. Luckily anything I put in it had alcohol. My roomate wasn't so lucky. He asked to use the fridge for a few days. He had to eat cereal with frozen milk. He sould have known better.
brewmaster808
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by brewmaster808 »

Maybe thinking out of the box and modifing the bottom be the way to go, just a suggestion.