how did you choose recipes when you first started brewing?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

how did you choose recipes when you first started brewing?

Postby brewnewb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm just getting started and I'm not sure where to find beer recipes or how to pick one.
brewnewb

Re: how did you choose recipes when you first started brewin

Postby jawbox » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:41 pm

If you are looking for tried and tested recipes I would pick up the book Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff. All of the BJCP beer styles are covered and every one has placed at one competition or another.

I'd also recommend a trip to howtobrew.com or just buy John Palmers book of the same name.
PowerMac G4 933 Mhz, 1GB Ram, 17" Studio Display, Mac OSX 10.3.9
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IPhone 5
IPad 2
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: how did you choose recipes when you first started brewin

Postby slothrob » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 am

Jamil's book is a solid collection that will cover most any style that you want to make. Brew-your-own has also published an collection of his recipes and the associated beer style column from that magazine. BYO also has a collection of 250 clone recipes, if you want to try and make something similar to a particular beer.

Since you are just starting, you might want to brew a few solid kits at first. Northernbrewer.com has a nice collection of kits that seem to have a good reputation, and they have the recipes readily available on their site. Reading the recipes will help you learn what malts and hops might work in what types of beer, if you want to design your own recipes in the future.

When you want to build your own recipes,I'd start by thinking about what beer you like to drink and would like to make, then start learning about those styles and how they have been made historically. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels is a helpful book that doesn't really have recipes, but talks about what ingredients have made successful beer in the past.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To