Re-using Yeast

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

pfrichar

Re-using Yeast

Post by pfrichar »

After racking off the beer, I saved some of the spent yeast from the bottom of my carboy. The yeast was from a package of Safale-05. I used it to ferment a batch of ale with an OG of 1.045. I put the yeast slurry into two sanitized beer bottles that I capped and refrigerated. Each bottle has about 7 oz. of the yeast slurry.

My questions: 1. Will I be able to re-use this yeast, by making a starter with the slurry?
2. How long will it keep in my fridge?
New brewer (since 11/09). Brewing with extracts but thinking all-grain is in my future.
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by shaggyt »

I like the direction you are going here...reuse not refuse.

1. Creating a starter is the easiest way to revive the yeast. You may want to "wash" the yeast first. Search yeast washing for the specifics, but it's hella easy.

2. I've stored washed yeast in my fridge for about a month prior to pitching, making a starter to revive before pitching. The longer the yeast is in the fridge, the more cells age and die (starvation).

Just remember to be super sanitized and clean with whatever vessels you're using and you should be good to go. Just make sure you recognize the aroma of healthy yeast and shy away from anything foul prior to pitching.

Cheers.