Pitching Dry Yeast

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

cggAK

Pitching Dry Yeast

Post by cggAK »

There is much written about yeast starters, but none seems to relate directly to using dry yeast.

For a 6 gallon batch of APA I plan to brew in the next few day, I have 11.5g packs of Safale US-05. Should I
  • Make a starter?
    Pitch one pack?
    Pitch two packs?
Thanks.
slothrob

Dry Yeast

Post by slothrob »

One 11-12 gram pack of dry yeast is just about perfect for 5 gallons of a 1.050 beer, like an APA might be. The Mr.Malty Yeast Calculator is a great resource for determining how much yeast you should use for a particular beer and it includes dry yeast.

You should avoid making a starter with dry yeast, because it is made with healthy stores of nutrients that are difficult to equal with a starter. Rehydrating the yeast, however, if done correctly, can lead to healthier yeast and faster fermentation.

You can sprinkle dry or rehydrate, but be aware that sprinkling directly into the wort can halve the viability of the yeast.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cggAK

Post by cggAK »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try one and see what happens.
slothrob

dry yeast

Post by slothrob »

Fermentis Safale US-05 is a very good dry yeast for APAs and IPAs. It attenuates high and ferments clean, which fits the styles well.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP