under hopped, now what?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

substancep

under hopped, now what?

Post by substancep »

I tend to go on the low side of the IBU scale when I brew since many of the folks I have over are not big hop heads. However I just made a stout that has come out cloyingly sweet. I was thinking of dry hopping to cover up some of the sweet, though I know it won't add any bitterness. Two things though, any issue with dry hopping 6 weeks out from primary fermentation, and is there any reason I shouldn't just dry hop in the keggerator with the gas running?
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Dry hopping in the keg is not an issue. I do that with some of my IPA's. Dry hopping can really be done at anytime throughout the fermenting process.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
steinsato

Post by steinsato »

to add bittering or aroma you can make hop teas. I recently made an IPA and also an Special Bitter that I decided needed more hop flavor. I ended up boiling a select amount of hops in a small amount of water for an hour, I then strained the hops with a french coffee press and dumped the tea right into the keg. For aroma you can boil a different tea for less time, like 5 minutes and just do the same thing. That is how I deal with beers that end up being too malty/sweet.