Yeast Harvesting

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast Harvesting

Post by Grizz »

I have a tapped out Keg of Blue Moon in my keggerator right now. I am going to brew a clone batch of blue moon soon. And I do have the tool to remove the stem from the keg safely. So my question is due you think the yeast will still be viable to harvest and culture? The yeast has settled out of the beer because I did not keep it mixed up just for this reason. Any input would be great.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My question is WHY

Post by brewmeisterintng »

In current day there are better yeast strains available that are fresh for starting your yeast cultures with. I would reserve culturing yeast from bottles/ kegs for those that can not be duplicated by any other means (the yeast strain isn’t available elsewhere). A quite a few brewery’s attempt to keep their strain secretive anyway by using a separate strain for bottle conditioning.
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

I know that most breweries will not share their yeast. Also when they constantly reuse yeast it changes over time and has a distinct flavor profile. I was trying to brew a clone. More of a experimental question than any thing.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I haven't had a problem getting yeast from breweries. We've got three breweries within an hour of my place and I've had success at two of them. It helps that I sat down and got to know the owners before I even asked. I had made weekly trips into both of them to get to know the people and the beer.

I've found that (as stated), most of these yeast strains can be closely matched with the wide variety of fresh yeast available at my LHBS. I've only found very minor differences in the finished product that an everyday drinker would never pick up.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

I to have a local micro brewery that will give me most any of the yeast they use. There is one that is proprietary and can not be given away. These proprietary yeast strains are actually created for the brewery and only sold to the brewery that orders then. So this is why I was toying with the harvesting idea.