Candi sugar

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

aviationpilot06

Candi sugar

Post by aviationpilot06 »

I would like to use candi sugar in a future tripel recipe. When do I add the candi sugar? At boil? at second fermentation? Thanks for your help.
slothrob

sugar addition

Post by slothrob »

I don't make big beers with a big sugar infusion, so take my advice for what it's worth, but my brewbuddy makes them quite often.

He swears by adding sugar midway through primary. The idea, I believe, is to not strain the yeast by starting with a really high OG and instead adding the sugar when there's a lot of yeast around to process it. He waits until the fermentation has peaked and maybe starts to slow down a bit, then adds the sugar.

I don't think adding sugar to the secondary would be good. There is less yeast, so you would be more apt to stress the yeast. In addition, the yeast would start to grow again so you'd end up with a lot of yeast in your secondary. That would defeat the main purpose of the secondary, which is to give the beer a chance to drop clear.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
aviationpilot06

Post by aviationpilot06 »

Thanks for the answer. Do I add the sugar in solid form or liquid form during fermentation?
slothrob

sugar add'n

Post by slothrob »

People do both, but adding the sugar to a little water and bringing it to a boil will guarantee that it's sanitary and make it mix in more easily. Dry sugar is essentially sanitary, though.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP