I want to make a lager, but can't keep it cool, any suggesti

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I want to make a lager, but can't keep it cool, any suggesti

Post by dartedplus »

I would like to brew a lager, but I dont have the ability to keep it at a controlled temp while it ferments. Would I be able to use ale yeast and still make a lager beer ( I specifically would like to make a bock). I think I saw somewhere that I could use aan ale yeast and still get a lager tasting beer. Please let me know. Thanks, Ed.
Davedownunder

cooling it

Post by Davedownunder »

There's a couple of options for keeping your fermentation temperature down. Once easy method is to wrap a wet towel or cloth around the fermenter and leave it in a drafty/breezie place. The evaporative cooling will help keep the temperature down.

I've just done a Euro Pilsner using Saflager yeast. It fermented at around 20 deg C (10-15 would have been better) but it's turned out fine.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks for the Info

Post by dartedplus »

Dave,
thanks for the info, is 20 deg about 68 degrees F??? I think its closer to that, I think after my initial ferment I am going to put it in my closet which stays at about 52 degrees F, which is about 11 degrees C. I think this will be sufficient. I used some dry lager yeast. The recipe is for a Harp clone. You can check it out in the recipe section. I think that I am going to start doing all grain with my next batch, and am already getting the necessary equipment to sparge and lauter. Thanks again and enjoy your beer. Ed