mash ph

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

mash ph

Post by brakspears »

at what time after striking the mash should the mash ph be checked, and adjusted, if necessary, given that ph changes as acids are relesed from the grains by reaction with calcium ions present in the liqour (water), any info would be gratefully received
billt

after mixing grain and water

Post by billt »

You want the ph of the mash to ideally fall between 5.2 and 5.5 (this is ideal, as long as you're close you'll do fine.) After mixing your grain and strike water well, take a sample and cool it. If it is above 5.5 add a teaspoon of gypsum; if it is below 5.2 add a teaspoon of calcium carbonate.
Really, if you get it anywhere between 5.8 and 5.0 your beer will be ok. and you should stop adding salts at that point.
Finally, I would recommend that you just forget about ph for your few all-grain batches. There are plenty of other things to worry about and 9 times out of 10 ph takes care of itself anyway.
brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

mash ph

Post by brakspears »

thanks for the reply to my question about mash ph, I'll not worry anymore, just have a homebrew and relax regards nigel