Using chocolate in beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Beerme
Light Lager
Light Lager

Using chocolate in beer

Post by Beerme »

There are a few beers that actually have chocolate in them. One is Young's Double Chocolate Stout (which is simply awesome). Anyway, I was wondering how best to incorporate some actual chocolate in a beer? How and when would one add it?

Use unsweetened chocolate and how much? Or some other type of chocolate?

Add to mash? Secondary?

What do ya'll think and has anyone had success doing this?
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

I recently did a Fat Tire where I added 2oz unsweetened 100% coco dark chocolate with 10 min left in boil. Just kegged it so I see how it worked in a week or so.
TPA

Baking Cocoa

Post by TPA »

In my Sweet Irish Whore I used Chocolate baking cocoa, about 8 oz in the boil for 5 gals will give a nice chocolaty taste. I also used some Irish Cream Extract and Lactose (It was all added to Mount Mellick's Famous Irish Stout Kit) and it turned out WONDERFUL. I pulled 50 beers out of it and between me and my friends they were gone before the month was out.
"May those who love us love us, and those who do not, may God turn their hearts. But if he will not turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so that we may know them by their limping."- Traditional Irish Blessing
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Chocolate

Post by Legman »

I've used chocolate in one batch so far, and it came out great. I made a brown porter (Dirty Sanchez Chocolate Porter) in which I tried using 2 Hershey's dark chocolate bars that had 65% cocoa in it. (Which basically equaled about 5 oz. of cocoa.) I added it to the full boil.
The beer had a really nice chocolate after taste to it. My porter recipe needs some work, and I'm doing partial mashes now, so I'm going to try it again this weekend and I'm going to use powdered cocoa (7 oz.) instead of the candy bar and I'm going to add it to the last 15 min. of the boil. But over all the beer really turned out nice.
The one thing you may want to take into consideration, is that when using chocolate, you may want to add a good dose of crystal malt or something to increase the sweetness and body a bit or you may not recognize the chocolate flavor. It's not exactly like eating a piece of chocolate, because candy contains a lot of sugar, oils and other ingredients.

Read this article on BYO.com http://www.byo.com/feature/333.html
It will give you a good place to start.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Baking Cocoa

Post by wottaguy »

TPA wrote:In my Sweet Irish Whore I used Chocolate baking cocoa, about 8 oz in the boil for 5 gals will give a nice chocolaty taste. I also used some Irish Cream Extract and Lactose (It was all added to Mount Mellick's Famous Irish Stout Kit) and it turned out WONDERFUL. I pulled 50 beers out of it and between me and my friends they were gone before the month was out.
Say TPA, is your recipe posted here and if not, would you want to share it? It sounds real good!

Thanks!
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
bfabre