To Squeeze Or Not To Squeeze (Dry-hop bag)

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mrocco
Light Lager
Light Lager

To Squeeze Or Not To Squeeze (Dry-hop bag)

Post by mrocco »

Is there any downside to squeezing the bag when dry-hopping. Since the bag gets so large inside the secondary, I would probably need to stick something through the opening and press the bag against the side or something. Just seems like a lot of wasted beer and aroma inside there if I don't.
londonaftermi26

hops

Post by londonaftermi26 »

i would probably say dont squeeze the bag, this may give you more bitterness then aroma, unless that is your goal, i used liberty hops in my secondary for a ESB and only used about 1/2 of a ounce, and with sampling and racking i still came up with little under 6 gallons, but then again you can always try, somtimes i find, things work out when you least expect them too
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Squeezing the bag won't introduce any more bitterness. That can only come from boiling and isomerizing the hop oils (which is why boiling the hops longer adds more bitterness to the beer).

By not squeezing the bag, you're just loosing beer that could be consumed ;-)

Normally, I dry hop with whole hops and don't bother with a bag.

Todd
mrocco
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mrocco »

The bag is already in there (for 5 days). Thanks for the replies. I think I'll squeeze, if I can inside the carboy.