First Batch Sparge Efficiency Guess?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

tcguzzler

First Batch Sparge Efficiency Guess?

Post by tcguzzler »

Does anyone have a suggestion for a first guess at system efficiency for my first batch sparge. I have brewed 5 all grain batches using a fly sparge wheel and have gotten 85% efficiency every time. It has taken me at least an hour to sparge and I am looking to save a little time on brew day. I was thinking of shooting for 70%.
londonaftermi26

sparging

Post by londonaftermi26 »

ive been sparging way to much to fast and i still get 50% efficency, although not a desired percentage i still end up with a decent brew, i would have to say sparge a bit quicker and see where it takes you, for instance if it takes you and hour to sparge, then cut your time to about 45 to 50 mins, maybe even 30 mins if your feeling lucky :D
hjherbenson

How do I improve efficiency

Post by hjherbenson »

I have done 6 all grain brews each seem to be at about 60% I'v tried mashing longer sparging usually only takes 20 min.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Batch sparge efficiency

Post by billvelek »

Assuming that all other factors which affect efficiency are close to ideal, i.e., the settings on your mill or the proper crush if you get it already milled, and your mash schedule, etc., then if you are doing the batches correctly, I think you might start with an estimate of 70 to 75% for your first go, and see how close that it. I usually get 75 to 80%, and I've heard of even higher but I'd rather leave some fermentables than oversparge and have to boil off excess water, or even risk some astringency -- although I don't think that astringency is a typical problem with batch sparging unless you do a 4th running (3rd sparge) -- which I did on a recent partigyle and now I _think_ I can detect just a bit of astringency.

I think it is pretty well settled that batch sparging is slightly less efficient than fly sparging, but when I read a post like the above which mentions an hour sparge time, I remember why I batch. I can run and fully sparge my 5 gallon batch -- about 5.5 gallons pre-boil -- in probably 20 minutes, and that includes the repeated vorlaufs. But your speed for batches is going to depend on your equipment.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

I use Beer Tools software, the efficiency was set at 75% and each of the beers ended up with a OG of .030 to .040 less then what it should of been. As for sparging I use the tube from My hot hater supply to sprinkle the 168 deg water over my grains keeping ~ 1/2 to 1 inch of water covering the grains. So if I get a finer grind on my grains I can increase the eff% with a better chance of a stuck sparge? or slow the sparge to a trickle? or just plan for 60% eff? any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help!!!
John
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

hjherbenson wrote:I use Beer Tools software, the efficiency was set at 75% and each of the beers ended up with a OG of .030 to .040 less then what it should of been. As for sparging I use the tube from My hot hater supply to sprinkle the 168 deg water over my grains keeping ~ 1/2 to 1 inch of water covering the grains. So if I get a finer grind on my grains I can increase the eff% with a better chance of a stuck sparge? or slow the sparge to a trickle? or just plan for 60% eff? any other suggestions?
I would perform a batch sparge to be sure that your slightly low efficiency isn't due to poor flow through the grain bed. If your efficiency doesn't increase with a batch sparge, then you most probably need to look at a finer grind.

Double grinding is a way I've used to show that my efficiency would increase with a finer grind. When I saw an increase with a double grind, I proceeded to optimize my grinder's gap for a single pass through the mill.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hjherbenson

Batch sparge

Post by hjherbenson »

Well I have heard this term often but I have not tried it. Being very new to all grain could you outline the precedure. I use 2 16g kegs and a 10gal rubbermaid cooler for mashing.
Thanks again.
slothrob

Batch Sparge Procedure

Post by slothrob »

Batch sparging is relatively simple if you already know how to fly sparge.

Mash: The mash is the same for both techniques. Add grain and water of the right temperature and volume to your cooler to hit your mash temperature and thickness. Allow the grain to mash.

Mashout: Presuming you know the pre-boil volume you need and your approximate water loss due to absorption, add enough water to the mash to give you close to half your total pre-boil volume when you completely drain the tun. Shoot for 168
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

That was pretty much what I thought I had heard of others using each batch for a diferent beer so I wanted to make sure. Thanks. I think it might be time to get my own mill any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the help
slothrob

Batch sparging and mills

Post by slothrob »

You can use the two runnings for different beers, and many people do, but I combine them for a single beer, usually.

It seems that most people are happy with whatever mill they choose, but I use a Barley Crusher. I'm very happy with it and got 73% efficiency out of the box and get 82% after some adjustment.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

spam?

Post by slothrob »

Are you spamming us Mr. Rolex?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

I just ordered a MaltMill bare bones w/ adjustable roller.
slothrob

malt mill

Post by slothrob »

You'll apreciate the control you get from owning your own mill.

They're not cheap, but they last. If you can go from 60% up to 75 or 80%, you'll probably save 2-4 bucks a batch. Make 25-50 batches and you've broken even. Buy your malt in bulk, and you could cut your malt costs in half or more. That could save you $10 per batch and pay off the mill in 10 batches or less.

The real value comes from the peace of mind of having control over your grind and getting a reliable efficiency.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP