Harvest

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Harvest

Post by maltvault »

I am brewing my first batch in my new conical, I wanted to harvest the yeast and need to know where it's at. I know sounds dumb. I do partial mashes, therefore I've grain in the bottom and need to know if I should drain it past that layer before harvesting. Thanks,
Malt Vault
birdhunter

I envy your new toy!

Post by birdhunter »

Boy I wish I had a new conical. I still live in the world of siphon tubes and glass carboys. I don't know how to do that type of harvest, but I do have a question. Why is there grain in the fermenter? I
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

'cause

Post by maltvault »

There's fine grain specs in it 'cause my sparging vessel is not as upto date as my fermentor. I have not noticed any off, or bad flavors, nor has anyone commented on any bad things. It's just alittle grain dust that gets boiled and such, but there's only about 1/2 cup of it so I do not fret it.
Malt Vault
bigbrewdude

You want the middle layer

Post by bigbrewdude »

The January issue of BYO has a good article on this topic. According to the article, you wan the middle layer, between the trub and the dead yeast. I suppose you also would have to go through the layer of grain dust as well. The dormant yeast should be cream colored. Try this link to Wyeast's website, it may help you. http://www.wyeastlab.com/hbrew/hbyewash.htm
bigbrewdude

Oops!

Post by bigbrewdude »

Sorry! It's the September 2000 issue, not the January 2001 issue of BYO.
My bad!