Water Types and Effects of All Grains

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

UberUrbock

Post by UberUrbock »

0.75g per pound of water?!

water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon...I thought I read in the thread that you were shooting for 0.75 to 1 g/gallon.

so it would seem you added 6.24g/gallon!

am i reading that right,,,,???
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

.75g per Gallon, not Pound

Post by cleone »

You are correct, it was .75g per gallon! Sorry for the typo.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

It means that the chalk won't dissolve in plain water without some help from an acid. So you'll want to add it in your mash tun since that's an acidic environment. It doesn't matter whether you add it with dry grain first before striking or afterwards--in either case just make sure it's mixed in.

As far as the liquor tank, if you don't acidify that water, it does pose a problem. In these cases, before sparging I added the chalk addition to the mash tun and then started the sparge--figured that would be close enough.
UberUrbock

liquor tank

Post by UberUrbock »

I generally use a bit of food grade phosphoric acid to get the Ph right before I sparge.
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

This thread is a little old . . .

Post by cleone »

This thread is a little old. Taking the advice learned on this thread, have found the following additions (for soft water) to be effective for my brews:

Porter: 1g per gal of chalk (to simulate Dublin/high bicarbonate water). This seems to smooth out the bitterness of the darker malts.

German Styles: .5g gypsum per gal and .5g chalk (to simulate Munich water)

I am sure everyone has their favorite additions, but these have been working well for me.

Chris
DixMay

Post by DixMay »

[quote="BillyBock"]Your water is soft. According to [url]www.bottledwaterweb.com[/url], your water's analysis is:

Bicarbonates: 7.2 - 20 PPM
Calcium: 3.7 - 8.2 PPM
Flouride: 0.2 PPM
Magnesium: 0.76 - 1.4 PPM
Potassium: 0.59 - 0.7 PPM
Sulfates: 0.81 - 5.1 PPM
Sodium: 2.4 - 4.7 PPM
Total Dissolved Solids: 26 - 60 Mg/l *(except TDS which are parts per million)
Other Principal Components: Nitrate: 0.13 - 0.75 PPM, Chlo PPM

Remember that addition of different ions will provide different flavor results--so ask yourself what it is you think should be different in the beer and pick the salts to help you get that flavor profile.

Also remember, it's the specific ion-load of the water when mixed with a specific grain bill that determines the resulting mash pH. Therefore it's difficult to generalize 'spring water is better than purified water' or vice-versa.

Are you having problems with proper mash pH? What kinds of beers are you making?[/quote]
I think that is a good idea for some water purification at poland...

:)