Fermentability of ingredients?

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
wpruett

Fermentability of ingredients?

Post by wpruett »

In general I love BTP, but here's one nit-pick that's been bothering me:
It appears that currently there is no consideration in the recipe attenuation calculation for the fermentability of different ingredients. E.g. a wort of 100% lactose will attenuate to the same degree as wort of 100% corn sugar. I realize this is controlled by the "Attenuation" setting in the main recipe window, but that is not really a satisfactory solution.
Is there a plan to add a "fermentability" parameter to ingredients in the future? This would be tremendously useful in accurately calculating the the expected attenuation of recipes composed of ingredients with varying fermentability (including adjuncts and specialty malts).

Thanks!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Fermentability of ingredients?

Post by jeff »

wpruett wrote:In general I love BTP, but here's one nit-pick that's been bothering me:
It appears that currently there is no consideration in the recipe attenuation calculation for the fermentability of different ingredients. E.g. a wort of 100% lactose will attenuate to the same degree as wort of 100% corn sugar. I realize this is controlled by the "Attenuation" setting in the main recipe window, but that is not really a satisfactory solution.
Is there a plan to add a "fermentability" parameter to ingredients in the future? This would be tremendously useful in accurately calculating the the expected attenuation of recipes composed of ingredients with varying fermentability (including adjuncts and specialty malts).

Thanks!
If you can find the data that can be used to quantify fermentability then I would be happy to implement something. I gave up on this years ago for lack of both data and formulas. Please post anything you know about how to calculate this. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wpruett

Post by wpruett »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will put some thought into it and scrounge around for some data. Will let you know what I come up with.
steinsato

Post by steinsato »

What's bugging me right now is I'm trying to estimate the abv of an apricot saison I'm about to brew but when I add 3 lbs of pureed apricots the total abv doesn't change at all. It doesn't matter whether I put it in the boil, the primary fermentor or the mash tun, it's always the same. It also doesn't matter whether I even add the puree, the abv stays the same.

Also, I've been searching the site and can't find a way to directly email customer service my questions about the product. What's up with that?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Support

Post by jeff »

There is a support tab above that links to the support site. There you find the knowledge base with answers to common questions as well as a form to open a support ticket.

What product are you using to add the puree?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
paintbomb
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by paintbomb »

I think one easy fix, which wont cover issues like fruit, is having a checkbox in the ingredient editor that marks the ingredient as non fermentable. This would help with ingredients such as lactose so they would not be utilized in the attenuation calculations. Currently you have to uncheck lactose in your ingredients to get a clear picture of how much alcohol will be produced etc.