Equipmnt loss not calcualting

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
EricT

Equipmnt loss not calcualting

Post by EricT »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to BTP, I have been using it for about a week now. I calibrated my equipment and included a .5 gallon equipment loss in my Boil Kettle. This is not being accounted for in the amount of water I need though. I have tryed changing it to 1 gallon to see if it changes the total amount of water needed and it does not. Anyone else have this issue or am I doing something wrong?
slothrob

dead space

Post by slothrob »

BTP only seems to account for dead space in the mash tun, not in the kettle.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
EricT

Post by EricT »

Ok, so I'm guessing everyone just adds that to their Mash Tun dead space. Thanks for the reply. Actually, I just changed the numbers in my mash tun in a recipe I am working on and it still isnt reflecting in total water needed.
slothrob

dead volume

Post by slothrob »

It's going to be tough to add a dead space to the tun and get an exactly 0.5 gallon loss at the end of the boil due to expansion and contraction of wort volume with the temperature changes.

Perhaps this is an unsatisfying solution, but I target a larger volume as my Final Volume. So, if I knew that I would lose 0.5 gallons in the transfer from the kettle and wanted 5 gallons in the fermentor, I would consider 5.5 gallons my Final Volume.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP