HELP! Error message: File could not be opened: Invalid XML

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
BrewBlender

HELP! Error message: File could not be opened: Invalid XML

Post by BrewBlender »

Twice now, I have had to re-enter a recipe. It saves fine, reopens ok the first two or three times, but then I get an error that says: File could not be opened: Invalid XML file. Then a second error comes up and says "(File Name).btp could not be opened. Am I doing something wrong when I create the recipe or not doing something?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Josh
Potland, OR
slothrob

trouble opening recipe

Post by slothrob »

I've never had this problem, so I'm just going to throw a couple guesses out there:

Are you opening the recipe from within BTP or clicking on the recipe in it's folder? Does the recipe appear in the recipe browser window in the program? Perhaps it's lost it's link to BTP and you need to rebuild the library?

The file didn't get named "*.btp.btp" did it? I use an image processing program at work that has the habit of renaming files "*.tif.tif" when you re-save them. Then it says "invalid file type" until you get rid of the extra extension by changing the name to "*.tif".
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: HELP! Error message: File could not be opened: Invalid X

Post by jeff »

BrewBlender wrote:Twice now, I have had to re-enter a recipe. It saves fine, reopens ok the first two or three times, but then I get an error that says: File could not be opened: Invalid XML file. Then a second error comes up and says "(File Name).btp could not be opened. Am I doing something wrong when I create the recipe or not doing something?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
.btp files are XML format. If you want to try to diagnose the cause of the error yourself, Firefox browser is pretty good for locating XML issues. Locate the recipe file and open it in Firefox. You may have to temporarily change the extension to .xml for Firefox to identify the file type. XML errors are usually caused by some offending white-space or invisible character that slips into the file. If you would rather not bother with Firefox you can zip and send the file to me and I will look at it.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff