Whirlpool stage

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
kkozlen

Whirlpool stage

Post by kkozlen »

The tool currently has a boil (kettle) stage with a place to enter time, and a post boil stage. However, the post boil (kettle) stage doesn't allow you to enter time.

Please enable the tool to allow you to put in a time in the post boil (kettle) stage or add a whirlpool stage.

Thanks.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by starsailor »

Ditto.

It's useful to keeping track of and documenting the entire brew day timeline for steeping a late hop addition or whirlpooling.
Holter

Re: Whirlpool stage

Post by Holter »

kkozlen wrote:The tool currently has a boil (kettle) stage with a place to enter time, and a post boil stage. However, the post boil (kettle) stage doesn't allow you to enter time.

Please enable the tool to allow you to put in a time in the post boil (kettle) stage or add a whirlpool stage.

Thanks.
You know, i would like the same thing but it would need to be more complicated than just adding that option in my mind. Say you have a 60 minute boil and you whirlpool for 10 minutes post boil. If you just add the stage that you add hops to your schedule i don't think it would calculate the IBU's properly because your 60 minute addition is now going to behave more like a 70 minute addition. Its almost more like you need to define the parameters of your boil and either change your boil time and addition time to reflect a 70 minute boil, where you add your hops for 60 minutes at the 70 minute mark and turn the flame off to whirlpool at the 10 minute mark or if BTP had an option to define the boil with a 10 minute whirlpool so that all of the IBU calculations reflected the additional time yet the additions in the recipe still listed their actual times (60 vs. 70).

Just a thought from a fellow whirlpooler.
spire

Post by spire »

Plus one vote for adding some hops utilization to the post-boil stage.

This is where a significant amount of hops bitterness can come from (up to 10% utilization) depending on the length of the whirlpool.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by starsailor »

This would be a nice feature to account for the time, but also to account for the temp drop, i.e. heat lost to radiation without any heat input. Then you'd have a planned starting temp for your wort chilling stage and be better able to predict chilling time too.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

The upcoming update allows utilization to be manually entered in the ingredient list overriding the calculated value. This hopefully provides the flexibility required for special or complex situations where hop utilization algorithms fall short.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
brown_er

Post by brown_er »

Other brewing software that I have seen allows you to enter the time and the temp of the whirlpool and uses that information to calculate utilization - any plans for this type of system?
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

+1 on this request
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Version 2.0.19 implements very basic utilization estimates for whirlpool stage hop additions. The curves may need to be adjusted so please post your observations. Utilization estimates can be overridden by manually entering utilization in the ingredient list.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff