Continuous hop addition model

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
pfooti
Light Lager
Light Lager

Continuous hop addition model

Post by pfooti »

Dogfish Head, in their 60, 90 and 120 IPA lines (I'd link them here, but bbcode is disabled for me, so google it yourself) practice what's called "continuous hopping". Basically, you take your whole hop addition and add it a bit at a time over the whole (or part of) the boil.

It's more or less a hop-bursting brew strategy, which I quite like. I use the same technique in my own IPAs.

It's relatively easy to model this by taking the hop addition and breaking it into N pieces spread throughout the boil, but that's unsatisfying and inelegant in how such a thing is represented in the printout and how the bittering is calculated. The larger your N, the more annoying a change in your ingredients is- if the AA on this year's crop of Amarillo goes from say 8ish to 11ish, you have to change the AA in *every single entry* on the recipe (see also my other thread about item linking).

It would definitely be nice if I could just say Continuous Addition (Kettle) / 30 min in the Stage and Boil columns instead.