Refractometer/Hydrometer reading

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
gphall

Refractometer/Hydrometer reading

Post by gphall »

Ever, ehem, forget to measure your OG? I know I have. I would like to see BeerTools Pro incorporate the ability to use both a Hydrometer AND Refractometer reading to back calculate the OG.

If needed, I can work out the mathmatical details for doing this. Let me know if assistance is needed.
HumbleOpinion
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post ferment

Post by HumbleOpinion »

I would also like to see support for refractometer reading post fermentation. The readings get skewed by the alcohol but there are formulas to correct them.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Post ferment

Post by jeff »

HumbleOpinion wrote:I would also like to see support for refractometer reading post fermentation. The readings get skewed by the alcohol but there are formulas to correct them.
To convert refractometer readings post fermentation the Window->Calculators->S.G.->Refractometer utility often proves useful. It takes into consideration the presence of alcohol in the sample.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
gphall

Refractometer and hydrometer reading

Post by gphall »

I am aware of that function. What I am asking is something different.

If you take a sample of finished beer, degas it, then take a hydrometer reading AND a refractometer reading... you can calculate the starting gravity and ABV.

This has been covered in BYO, do a google search for "BYO Refractometer Novemeber 2003". This method is also covered in the ASBC Methods of Analysis and I personally came up with a similar method based on the same physics/chemistry many many years ago when a friend forgot to measure his SG.

While I can easily bust out the old calculator and do the math myself... good brewing software does that for me so I'll be less prone to making mistakes.

Let me know if you are interested in putting this into BTP. I know I would like to see it.

Thanks.... and thatnks for the great software package. So far, I love it.