How to Add a chil Phase in the schedule

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
yeager1977
Light Lager
Light Lager

How to Add a chil Phase in the schedule

Post by yeager1977 »

After I mash, then I boil everything (I added a boil stage in the Schedule) how can I get the "chill" phase then transfer to fermenter pahs. I have tried a few things but it doesn't really like that. Can that be added or is it there and I am missing how to use it?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

System Specs
1GB Ram
1.7ghz duo core AMD Athlon 64
Windows Vista Home
Also misc linux boxes running Ubuntu and Redhat.
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

Maybe I'm crazy, but do you need a line in the schedule to tell you you're supposed to chill now? ... or are you thinking more in terms of documenting how long the chill takes for referencing later?
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by starsailor »

I agree that this would be a useful feature, especially for those of use that want to document and track all the critical path times in a brew day using the schedule in BTP. On a fundamental level it makes no sense the the schedule should be limited just the mashing steps as opposed to all the steps it takes brew a batch.

I've kind of hacked it in a way that sort of works for my brewing process using my immersion chiller. I configured my immersion chiller as a "Heat Source", really a heat sink, using a 5gal batch as the "Calibration Volume" and a NEGATIVE VALUE for "Time to Heat 18 °F (10 °C)" that I measured in the middle of the cooling temp range, 70 °C down to 60 °C. Then I configured "New Direct Heat" schedule step using that heat source. It's not intuitive, but it works in the schedule and the temp graph. To finsh the brew out I have a "whirlpool" rest step, a "transfer to fermenter" transfer step, an "airation" rest step, a "pitch yeast" rest step, and lastly a "stow the fermenter" rest step.

This way of configuring a chill step works for any kind of in place chilling where the wort isn't transfered at the same time, but it wouldn't work for a CFC or plate chiller because they transfer at the same time and a transfer step doesn't involve any heat calculations.

BTW, I know that this is big hack and crude a approximation. A "Direct Heat" step heating with a burner etc. is pretty much a linear calculation because the heat source temp can be assumed to be way higher than the target temp. So, my use of a "Direct Heat" step as a heat sink where the ultimate "Heat Source" temp is equal to the target temp means that this heat transfer isn't near linear and really begs for a different kind of calculation, that's the hack part and why I calibrated it in the middle of the cooling temp range, but it at least gets my schedule in the ball park.