Add a New Beer Style

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
TheAleMaster

Add a New Beer Style

Post by TheAleMaster »

Hello,

I tried to search in the forum for this topic, but didn't see it. Is there a way to add new BJCP styles to the drop down? The 2011 styles were just released and include some styles that I brew (American-style Black Ale). I would like to have the appropriate style applied to my recipe.

Thanks!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Interesting since I can only find the 2008 guidelines at bjcp.org
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

BA Guidelines

Post by slothrob »

Are you thinking of the new Brewers Association Guidelines, perhaps?

BTP uses the BJCP guidelines, not the BA guidelines. I think the BJCP guidelines are being revised, but I don't know when they are expected to be finished, or if they will include that category. The BA guidelines tend to add styles relatively freely, but the BJCP tends to lean toward the conservative side in an attempt to avoid unchecked category splintering.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

jawbox wrote:Interesting since I can only find the 2008 guidelines at bjcp.org
No need for sarcastic, unhelpful remarks.
slothrob wrote:Are you thinking of the new Brewers Association Guidelines, perhaps?
Probably thinking of the BA guidelines.

Regardless, my question still applies. Is there a way to add/edit guidelines whether they be BJCP or BA?
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

There wasn't any sarcasm. I couldn't find them. Touchy
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

To answer your question yes.

Look at the side bar with all the databases recipes. You'll see styles, open that and you'll see bjcp guidelines and custom. Looks like you can enter your own in the custom database.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Thanks. I tried creating a few, expecting them to show up like my Recipe files do, but they didn't. Looks like they are more like ingredient entries. Any idea what the database file is? Can it be accessed/edited with anything other than BTP?
slothrob

Custom Style

Post by slothrob »

It seems that once you create the custom style, you can click on Custom in the side bar (the Assets Library), bringing the Custom Style you've created into the top field (the Contents List). Right-click/control-click on that listing in the Contents List and you'll see the option "Use in Recipe". Select that and the Custom Style will appear in the Style drop-down menu in the recipe window.

Does that help?

There is some basic information on creating Custom Styles in the User Guide (open it from the Help listing in the menubar), but the "Use in Recipe" step seems to have been overlooked.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Yeah. I meant I don't see them on my hard drive like I do my recipe files. I wanted to be able to enter them, back them up, send them to friends using BTP, etc.
slothrob

New Styles

Post by slothrob »

I see what you want to do, now. Sorry, but you're beyond my level of sophistication with the software, so you might need to use the "support" button at the top of the page to ask Jeff and Lathe.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP