Schedule help

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
nealperkins

Schedule help

Post by nealperkins »

I'll bet there is a thread here somewhere with the information I need...I just cannot find it.

I would like to know more about how the schedule works. I don't see how these numbers tie back to the total volume (small difference). I also would like to know how the "Available" , "Collected", and "Final Volume" relate (maybe definitions).

Thanks
slothrob

Schedule help

Post by slothrob »

There are a number of threads covering specific problems people have had with the schedule function, but I'm not sure if there is a general "how to" one.
Here is a brief post I made to get someone started using the Schedule tool for a Fly Sparge, though, and much would be similar for a Batch Sparge. I'd be glad to help with individual problems.

Another source of information is the BeerTools Wiki. If you go to the topic index, you can find a link to explanations of many of the individual fields and their functions are explained. The only problem with the Wiki is that it isn't always up-to-date with particularities of the current version, but you can ask if something doesn't match the explanation in the Wiki.

Some topics might also remain uncovered in the Wiki. For example, while I see an explanation of Final Volume, I don't see one for Available or Collected. In short, Final Volume is the total post-boil volume in the kettle after chilling to 68F. Available is the volume available in the tun to runoff, after grain absorption and dead volume are subtracted from the water added. Collected is the volume of run-off delivered to the kettle after a given step.

These values will often not be in complete agreement due to volume changes related to temperature. The particular volumes given at any point represent the volume of liquid at its current temperature, allowing you to measure the volume for accuracy without having to do manual conversions to adjust for temperature. For example, Kettle Volume is typically greater than Collected volume since it represents the same pot of liquid at boiling instead of mashout temperature.

There is also the User Guide documentation available from the BTP menubar.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
nealperkins

Post by nealperkins »

Thank you!
slothrob

schedule

Post by slothrob »

Good luck!

The Schedule function really becomes quite obvious once you've used it a few times. You just need to get in there and get your hands dirty setting it up for your system. After that, you can save a Template that will apply your saved Schedule parameters to any new recipe you design and do most of the work for you.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Here's a couple of examples for you.

For the Fly Sprage, I have a direct fired mash tun that allows me to heat my mash to mash out, note the difference in kettle volume before the mash out step and after. It increases due to the rise in temperature like Sloth mentioned.

Batch Sparge: This is my 10 gal Gott Style cooler setup.

Fly Sparge

Batch Sparge

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)