changing Vessel's properties doesn't affect my strike temp?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
CanadianNorth

changing Vessel's properties doesn't affect my strike temp?

Post by CanadianNorth »

Help!

I just bought this program, and I hope I made the right choice.

I was inputting a guiness clone that I recently did, as an experiment.

When I used 80 degree (C) water as my strike (3.75gallons) I came out with a temp of 70 in my 5 gallon igloo mash tun (approximately 12 lb grain). However, BTP keeps telling me I should use a 75 degree strike temp, and nothing I do to the vessel properties (in terms of heat transfer or heat capacity) seems to change that .....

any suggestions??????? :-(
slothrob

strike temp

Post by slothrob »

Did you select a "Mash Vessel" and a "Heating Vessel" in the Mash In editor window of the Schedule?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
CanadianNorth

Re: strike temp

Post by CanadianNorth »

[quote="slothrob"]Did you select a "Mash Vessel" and a "Heating Vessel" in the Mash In editor window of the Schedule?[/quote]

I selected a mash vessel and heating vessel, although I use a cooler mash tun. When I change the properties of the mash vessel and alter the heat transfer coefficient and the heat capacity and add the vessel to the recipe it doesn't change the strike temp. I tried removing the vessel and re-adding it, and removing the mash-in and then putting it in again.

When I alter the mash-in properties, selecting the mash vessel instead of 'none' the strike temp goes down.... which I don't understand.

[img]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1477 ... shotgp.jpg[/img]
CanadianNorth

Post by CanadianNorth »

Ok,

I get it now. I had chosen my Igloo cooler for both heating and mash vessels in the mash-in set up - but this wasn't good enough. I had to choose something different for the heating vessel - even though there is no heating!!

QUIRKY PROGRAM - sorry, I have to say that I was using beersmith before this and had no troubles.......... I'll try and stick it out with this one!!!!!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

That one issue is about the only real quirk you'll find. You might notice you SRM predictions being a little different than Beer Smith or Pro-Mash as BTP uses Noonan's formula for color.

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

[quote="CanadianNorth"
I get it now. I had chosen my Igloo cooler for both heating and mash vessels in the mash-in set up - but this wasn't good enough. I had to choose something different for the heating vessel - even though there is no heating![/quote]
This is an attempt to accommodate brewers with different types of mash tuns. It assumes you have a direct fired system, if you don't select a separate heating vessel, and calculates the strike temperature differently because you don't need to heat the mass of the tun with the strike water as you do with a cooler mash tun.

By choosing a heating vessel other than your tun, you are telling BTP that you heat your water in a one vessel and mash in another. You can use this to your advantage if you prefer to fill your tun with water then add the grain after the temperature has stabilized. Setting the heating vessel to none, in that case, will tell you the temperature the water should be before adding the grain to hit your mash temperature.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP