Adding ingredients to beer tools

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
wedwards

Adding ingredients to beer tools

Post by wedwards »

I am trialling a copy of beer tools at present, but am finding that almost every recipe I use has missing ingredients in beer tools. For instance, I just made a stout that had a can of mountmellick doublin stout. How/where do I find the information to enable me to add this ingredient to the database? Or is this something that has to be put through as a feature request and the analysis part of the can is something that mere mortals are unable to do?

Am new to brewing beer, so maybe its a gap in my knowledge at this point, but I need to know how to do this otherwise beer tools isnt going to be much use to me.
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Adding ingredients

Post by lathe »

Select "Grain" (or whatever type of ingredient you are adding) under "My Ingredients". You will notice the green plus symbol for the "New Item" icon will light up.

Click the "New Item" icon....and fill in ALL of the fields.

You will be good to go.

If you think the database is missing critical ingredients, we need to know about them. Please post them to the Database Additions thread.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Thanks for the tip, however i dont think i explained myself very well. i know how to add an extract, but i dont know where i get all the information to complete the fields for it (i.e. dry basis, original gravity, moisture, color, protein, TN, SNR, TSN, pH, etc).

Is this something that I request from the manufacturer of that particular extract, or my local brew shop, or is it something that an expert brewer would usually be able to work out themselves?

I will definately add to the Database Additions thread in any case, but while I am trialing beer tools I would really like to put some real data into it.
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Ingredient data

Post by lathe »

Adding an ingredient without having a through data set is often pretty pointless. Finding good data is the hard part. Often the reason an ingredient isn't in the DB is because we couldn't get enough data about it.

So, yes we whole heartedly recommend people seeking the necessary data from their favorite suppliers.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff