Recipe files disappeared!

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
trikerbrewer

Recipe files disappeared!

Post by trikerbrewer »

I'm using a MacBook with OS 10.6.2, and BTP 1.5.5. I had a recipe of my own saved in a subfolder in "Recipes," and several saved in the main folder that I had downloaded from the website. Just now I tried to delete a new recipe file and got a BTP dialogue box that was blank. I clicked OK and the program froze. I force quit it; when I relaunched, there were no recipes saved, and I can't find them anywhere. I can re-enter everything, but what could have happened?
t
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Recipe files disappeared!

Post by jeff »

trikerbrewer wrote:I'm using a MacBook with OS 10.6.2, and BTP 1.5.5. I had a recipe of my own saved in a subfolder in "Recipes," and several saved in the main folder that I had downloaded from the website. Just now I tried to delete a new recipe file and got a BTP dialogue box that was blank. I clicked OK and the program froze. I force quit it; when I relaunched, there were no recipes saved, and I can't find them anywhere. I can re-enter everything, but what could have happened?
t
Not sure what happened. Did you try rebuilding your library or checking the contents of your library folder in the Finder?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
trikerbrewer

Post by trikerbrewer »

jeff wrote:Not sure what happened. Did you try rebuilding your library or checking the contents of your library folder in the Finder?
Hi Jeff,
When I tried rebuilding the library, it said no items were found.
Do you mean the library folder in my Mac users file, or in the BTP folder? The recipes were no where to be found -- not even in the trash.
As it turns out, my wife scrounged around in the Time Machine backups and managed to restore previous copies of the files, placing them in the BTP folder in my documents. This gave me the recipes back, but still doesn't tell me what happened, or whether it will happen again!
Tom
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Gotta love Time Machine. I haven't heard of this happening before but that doesn't mean it hasn't. When BTP deletes a recipe it actually moves it to the trash. Did you see any recipes in there?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
trikerbrewer

Post by trikerbrewer »

jeff wrote:Gotta love Time Machine. I haven't heard of this happening before but that doesn't mean it hasn't. When BTP deletes a recipe it actually moves it to the trash. Did you see any recipes in there?
None. I used Spotlight, I ran a "Find," I looked everywhere -- it's like they were just lost in cyberspace. Impressive.
Tom