Doing BeerTools Eval - need setup help

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Malty_Brewer

Doing BeerTools Eval - need setup help

Post by Malty_Brewer »

I've been looking at BeerSmith for a month and got it figured out and did a couple of brews. I want to look at BeerTools before I lock in.

I brew mainly extract + specialty grains and the occasional mini-mash - but mostly extract+grains. To get correct SG and IBUs I know I need to correctly setup equipment values - and ensure BeerTools is in Extract mode.

I'll start to look thru the equipment settings --- but its not clear where I tell BeerTools that the recipe is Extract - All Grain etc. Where is that done.

Thanks a bunch !
slothrob

extract mode

Post by slothrob »

There is no "extract mode" as such in BeerToolsPro.

The primary differences between all-grain and extract (other than the mash itself) are the source of the sugar and the (for most people), low volume boil.

The extract itself, as the sugar source is accounted for in BTP in the recipe field by choosing the type of extract you use for that recipe.

The low volume boil and any top-up water is accounted for when you enter the water volumes you use. The program will automatically calculate the gravity and IBU changes dependent on these volumes.

You may want to change the Hop Utilization Formula to Rager (this can be found under the Recipe menu). It's a common belief that the Rager formula is more accurate for predicting IBUs for a partial volume boil, while Tinseth is more accurate for a full volume boil.

Other than that, I don't think there are any other changes needed for "extract mode".

Also, you don't need to worry much about equipment calibration for extract brewing... unless you want to.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Sarsfield

Determining Specialty Grain Contribution

Post by Sarsfield »

Quick question, how do you figure out the contribution to the specific gravity of the beer by the special grains that are steeped? Thanks

BTW I will be going all grain after the new year, but I still might brew with extract and specialty grains on occasion.
slothrob

steeped grain contribution

Post by slothrob »

You can measure the contribution of the steeped grain by measuring the gravity and volume of the steeping water.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP