Transfer does not work

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
DrBarr

Transfer does not work

Post by DrBarr »

I've tried various things to do transfer and if used properly, it essentially doesn't do anything. The volume in the mash tun and the kettle stays the same. 0 in the case of the kettle (or collected volume). It actually looks like it's adding the volume to the mash tun. The "in vessel" volume is 1 gal more than the total water volume. The only way I've been able to get it to "appear" to work is to switch the values for transferred and remaining (i.e. set transferred to 0). But no matter what I do, the collected volume is always 0. I've tried changing the vessels, leaving the vessels blank. NOTHING has worked. This is probably going to make or break the deal with BT pro.
slothrob

transfer or sparge?

Post by slothrob »

It sounds like you are trying to add a Sparge step, in which case you should pick a Fly or Batch Sparge step as appropriate.

A Transfer step is for moving the mash itself, e.g. from a mash tun to a separate lauter tun.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
DrBarr

Post by DrBarr »

That's got to be one of the most counterintuitive things I've ever heard. You can't just transfer the wort without sparging? What if you are doing a single infusion mash with no sparge? How are you supposed to convince the software that you are moving the liquid from your mash tun to your kettle?
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

It's just a naming convention. During development of the software, the Sparge steps were called "Separation". That probably would have been more intuitive for you but was confusing to a lot of people who were looking for a step called "Sparge".

The Batch Sparge editor doesn't require you to actually add sparge water. If you hit the small "-" button, the sparge field disappears, making the step a simple draining of the tun. Select your kettle as the Destination Vessel. You can rename the step to whatever you want. This is how I set up a schedule for a no-sparge batch.

Think of it this way, a transfer of the wort from the tun to the kettle is identical to the first half of a Batch Sparge. The actual Transfer step is for brewers using something like a German mashing system that requires moving the entire mash to a secondary lauter tun for sparging.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP