first time all grain

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
DrBarr

first time all grain

Post by DrBarr »

I working on getting my first all grain in BT but I'm having issues with the schedule. Apparently BT doesn't import the schedule from a .rec file. The schedule looks like this:
Protein 1 20 122 122 Infuse 131 9.20 1.15
Saccharification 5 30 153 153 Infuse 210 5.87 1.88
Mashout 1 10 170 170 Infuse 210 7.09 2.77

I think you gurus can figure that out. The problem is the last step. Maybe it's just me and I'm assuming there is a sparge but there isn't. If there is a sparge, there is too much volume in the mashout. That amount is necessary I think to get the mash to 170. Is there a sparge in this batch?
Another question...I would really rather not build the schedule manually each time. Is there a better way to get it to import from the .rec file?
slothrob

.rec

Post by slothrob »

I've never used the feature much before, but can't get imported .rec files to import the schedule information.

If you want to import this information I think you'll have to do it somewhat manually.

If you set up a few Template recipes, with saved schedules, you should be able to automate most of this. All you should need to do is Apply the Template, then change the actual temperatures, BTP should calculate the rest. You would need a Schedule with a simple infusion, and one for a 2 step mash, one for a 3 step mash, etc.

I use a single infusion mash schedule as my Default, which is what I end up using for most recipes, which is applied automatically to imported recipes.

I suppose that the particular recipe you quote could be no-sparge, but it's probably a fly sparge. I also suspect that 210°F is too hot to maintain 170°F in the grain bed. But that's all a guess, which is why I build my own schedules.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
DrBarr

Post by DrBarr »

heh...slothrob...did you notice this is the same post you answered on homebrew.com?
;)