Water chemistry calculator

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Water chemistry calculator

Post by Legman »

In the water chemistry calculator, at the bottom of the window, what is the Ph number supposed to represent? It is not effected by adjusting grains in the recipe, so what the heck is it? :?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Water chemistry calculator

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Legman!

I was just checking that item out, and to me it looks like it is supposed to be the PH of your mash liquor before adding to the tun and adding the grains. Looks like a baseline starting point.

What I don't understand is why can't I specify a known target water profile, then enter MY water profile with my known mineral characteristics, and have the Water Chemistry utility automatically calculate my mineral additions for me. I thought these new fangled puters were pretty good at figurin these things out! LOL!!

It would speed up the process for me and I wouldn't have to fool around with trying to get it close by my hit or miss additions. I'm really into saving time, and I don't want to be spending a lot of time fooling around with software when I can be brewing or performing other manual brewery tasks.

Thanks for puttin up with my rants!

Hope this helps too...

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Water chemistry calculator

Post by jawbox »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Legman!
What I don't understand is why can't I specify a known target water profile, then enter MY water profile with my known mineral characteristics, and have the Water Chemistry utility automatically calculate my mineral additions for me. I thought these new fangled puters were pretty good at figurin these things out! LOL!!
I would love to see this too. I hate having to mess around trying to find the perfect blend of minerals.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I second that emotion :-)

Post by billvelek »

Sung to the melody of that 1967 hit by "The Miracles" -- I second that emotion.

Seems like a formula could be created, but I'm pretty rusty on my math and I don't have time to look at it right now.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I would think that some of the formulas would be contained in John Palmers spreadsheet.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: RE: Water chemistry calculator

Post by Legman »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Legman!

I was just checking that item out, and to me it looks like it is supposed to be the PH of your mash liquor before adding to the tun and adding the grains. Looks like a baseline starting point.
That doesn't make any sense. If I only have my water profile in the calculator and nothing else, it says the pH is 5.8. My water has a pH of 7. So what is that 5.8 pH supposed to represent? :?

And I also was thinking it would be nice if it calculated the amounts of minerals to add to match different profiles. Might be a good thing to put in the "BeerTools Pro Feature Requests."