Full boil extract- how to figure hop reduction in BTP 1.5

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
muggins

Full boil extract- how to figure hop reduction in BTP 1.5

Post by muggins »

I've been making partial boil extract brews in the past and I have just bought a larger BK in hopes to go all-grain in the near future.

While I'm waiting on equipment, I'd like to do a full boil extract. I understand with the larger volume I will get better hop utilization and will have to scale back the hops a bit.

Could someone give me a hand on how to do this with BTP 1.5?

Thanks in advance :)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Use Tinseth for the utilization.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
muggins

Post by muggins »

jawbox wrote:Use Tinseth for the utilization.

Thanks for your help jaw....I just downloaded the software and I am having some problems with using it. I'm rushing through this because I'm running low on my brew supply and need to get busy!

I found the utilization window in the software and selected Tinseth which sets the parameters for the boil time formula, gravity correction and pellet hops correction. Do I understand that since the pellet hops correction is blanked out that it is not required for Tinseth?

This seems to be working for me. Let me know if I am totally wrong on this.

Thanks for your help.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Well...I guess I partially understand this, but I can't seem to get a reduction in hops when i use the algorithm with a recipe.

Please help!!
slothrob

Recipe to full boil

Post by slothrob »

The way I would try to adapt a partial boil recipe you like to a full boil:
• Enter your current recipe, paying particular attention to the actual pre- and post-boil volumes.
• "Rager" under Boil time in the pop-up menu from menubar>Recipe>Utilization.
• Note the Bitterness.

• Change the volumes to those you expect from the full-volume boil.
• Change Utilization algorithm from "Rager" to "Tinseth".
• Alter the amount of the 60 minute hop addition until the Bitterness matches that from the original recipe.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Be sure to click on "use" on the 'utilization' pan

Post by billvelek »

After you select a formula, be sure to click on "use" on the 'utilization' panel. In the past I have recommended that Jeff and Lathe put fields somewhere on the top portion of the BTP screen to display the current selections for the three possible settings in the 'utilization' panel -- "boil time", "gravity correction", and "pellet hops" correction -- because there is plenty of room, and it would be useful to be able to see them without having to open the utilization panel. It should also be something that appears on the printout, and also as part of the recipe if it is sent to someone.

But I'd like to modify that suggestion a bit; now that I think of it, I think that the 'pellet hops' correction should be added onto the line for each hop addition, since I will often mix my hops -- some of them will be pellets while some are whole, and to be completely accurate, I would think that BTP would need to take into consideration that not ALL of the hops are pellets; however, that may not be very significant for most of us because it is only the bittering hops that would be affected, and most of us would use just one type for that particular hop addition. On the other hand, I've seen some pretty complicated hop schedules, so there could be instances where bittering hops might consist of two different forms of hops.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
muggins

hop reduction for full boil extract

Post by muggins »

Thanks everyone for your help on this. Using slothrob's approach with the software, I was able to calculate that I needed a hop reduction of 17% when going from a partial boil to a full boil for my particular instance (3g to 6g boil volume) for the extract recipe that I was using. Sound about right?

Now that I've had a chance to look at the software a bit more and go through this forum and Bobby's tutorial videos, I'll have a better handle on it as I get into all grain. I must say, for someone who is primarily just getting into brewing compared to many of you, the software is not the most intuitive.

Thanks for the help...I'm sure I'll be asking more questions along the way.
slothrob

IBUs

Post by slothrob »

Sounds about right. It will depend on the recipe, I think, but the one I tested indicated a 20% reduction was needed. So, same ballpark.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: hop reduction for full boil extract

Post by billvelek »

muggins wrote:snip ... I must say, for someone who is primarily just getting into brewing compared to many of you, the software is not the most intuitive. ... snip
Yes, but I will say that it is a VERY good program once you get a handle on it, so hang in there. The 'YouTube' tutorials are a GREAT help; if Jeff and/or Lathe can find the time, I'd think that a complete series -- from top to bottom -- would be immensly helpful. They are much better than trying to read a 'text' help file, and would seem able to hold a person's interest a lot more, at least in my opinion.

Cheers, and a 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' to everyone.

By the way, I just got my 2,500th member to join my 'Grow-Hops' group, so if any of you are thinking of growing hops this year (or if you are already doing it), I'm confident that 'Grow-Hops' is the largest and most informative Internet group on that topic.

God Bless everyone in the coming year.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

bill,

do you have anyone exchanging hops? Looking to add to my cascades and centennials.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

We are currently trying to work out the rhizome exchange

Post by billvelek »

We are currently trying to work out the rhizome exchange; the same member who did the distribution last year has volunteered again, so I'm sure there will probably be an exchange again this year but all of the details have not yet been worked out. I expect that we may get some final decisions made in the next couple of weeks, which still leaves plenty of time before planting season.

There will be updated info posted on my 'Grow-Hops' group as things develope further; you are warmly welcomed to join if you are not already a member. With the large crowd that we have, I can't remember who has joined and who hasn't. I will say that I can't believe that there is ANY source of hop growing info better than my group, and I've learned a lot. We have "experts" as well as numerous 'start up' commercial hop farms, too, which I'm glad to see.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'm getting ready to crack open a bottle of one of my brews that I bottled about ten days ago, so I hope that it's carbonated enough. If not, I have some Leinenkugel's -- Sunset Wheat and Honey Weiss; I love their beer. Fixin' to boil some nice sized shrimp in a little while. Just me and the wife tonight; my kids are all grown up so they 'do their own thing'. I just hope everyone is safe.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
muggins

Re: hop reduction for full boil extract

Post by muggins »

billvelek wrote:
muggins wrote:snip ... I must say, for someone who is primarily just getting into brewing compared to many of you, the software is not the most intuitive. ... snip
Yes, but I will say that it is a VERY good program once you get a handle on it, so hang in there. The 'YouTube' tutorials are a GREAT help; if Jeff and/or Lathe can find the time, I'd think that a complete series -- from top to bottom -- would be immensly helpful. They are much better than trying to read a 'text' help file, and would seem able to hold a person's interest a lot more, at least in my opinion.

Cheers, and a 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' to everyone.

By the way, I just got my 2,500th member to join my 'Grow-Hops' group, so if any of you are thinking of growing hops this year (or if you are already doing it), I'm confident that 'Grow-Hops' is the largest and most informative Internet group on that topic.

God Bless everyone in the coming year.

Bill Velek

Bill... I agree that the software is excellent. I also agree that a complete series of tutorial videos would be a benefit for everyone. Actually, the reasons that I chose this software was not only because I thought it was good, but that I saw many of this forum's members were willing to help in understanding how to use it. The software seems to be upgraded somewhat frequently, but most importantly, the authors are striving to make it better, which is evident in the "Feature Requests" and "Bug Reports" sections of the forum.

Happy Holidays