Fly Sparge Editor -- Need more detail

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
dnoon

Fly Sparge Editor -- Need more detail

Post by dnoon »

I'm getting pretty frustrated at the lack of documentation on each of the panels used in making a schedule. I figured out mash-in, and rest, but now I want to set up a Fly Sparge.

Duration -- do you just figure this out from past brews? I've never brewed an all grain beer before, so I don't know what time to put. It's certainly not 0 mins. It would be for a 5 gallon batch.

Sparge volume -- is this how much water is in your Sparge Lauter Tun? John Palmer's instruction for doing an all-grain brew says gather 3.5 gallons of water. How do I know if this will be enough for my recipe? And where does 60 deg. F come from?

Available -- No idea what this means

Collected -- I fill this in after I'm done brewing?? And what does Lock do?

Can someone please explain this dialog box for me please! Thanks! Merry Christmas!
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

Watch this video first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9xuSQrfEM

It doesn't get into the fly sparge yet but you need to setup your recipe including the desired final volume. Set your boiloff rate to something like 1.25 gal/hr for starters and then set your boil duration. This will determine how much preboil volume you need to collect. Certainly if you have a small kettle, this preboil volume might be limited to that instead.

When you go to the schedule, add the mash in. Pick a ratio of something like 1.25qt/lb. Add the 60 min sac rest. Add new fly sparge.

If you hit "lock", it's going to force the collection amount to the proboil volume required based on the inputs on the main screen.

"Available" is how much wort is in the mash tun prior to starting the runoff.

Duration is arbitrary as far as the program is concerned. You determine that. I'd suggest at least a 40 minute duration for a 5 gallon batch.

The final temp depends on how hot your sparge water is. However, you might want to insert a "mash out" infusion prior to the sparge and set the temp to 212F with a desired final temp of 168F. It will tell you how much water to infuse (which you'll then stir in really well prior to the sparge).

Are you sure you don't want to batch sparge? THAT I can really help you with.

http://www.suebob.com/brew/allgrain.htm

Bobby.
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj