Confusion about mash and boil volumes

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
ChileH3d

Confusion about mash and boil volumes

Post by ChileH3d »

Hi, a newbie question:

I've input my recipe into beertools. The mash schedule shows 6.45 gallons collected, but this doesn't seem to match what's required in the kettle to hit my target final volume. My final volume target is 5.5 gallons, and my evaporation loss is 1.5 gallons (a long boil). Shouldn't the mash schedule target 7 gallons collected so I hit my 5.5 gallon target after evaporation losses?

Or... maybe the volume looks low because my recipe also adds quite a bit of dme and it's taking that into account...

Thanks,
Ryan
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Confusion about mash and boil volumes

Post by jeff »

ChileH3d wrote:Or... maybe the volume looks low because my recipe also adds quite a bit of dme and it's taking that into account...
Yep, that's it. The schedule will eventually include post mash steps such as 'boil', 'add extract', and 'chill'. It will all make more sense then.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wnordmann

Post by wnordmann »

When do you expect the schedule to include boil and chill? Step by step direction drawn up before the brew day would be great. Brewing has a tendency to make the mind wonder, and make figuring out what to do next tricky sometimes.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

wnordmann wrote:When do you expect the schedule to include boil and chill? Step by step direction drawn up before the brew day would be great. Brewing has a tendency to make the mind wonder, and make figuring out what to do next tricky sometimes.
I don't have a specific time frame for those new features. It is very likely they will appear in the next major upgrade version 2.0.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff