Mead

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
rpoelking
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mead

Post by rpoelking »

Ok, I realize that this is BEERtools and not Mead or WineTools but I have a question about the fermentability of Honey and attenuation. I've made meads and wine in the past and it's normal to have a FG less than 1.0 (Wines are usually .990). However, I cannot get BT to show a FG less than 1.00 unless I push the attenuation above 100%. Is that an intended work around? An attenuation greater than 100% doesn't make a lot of sense since it is a measure of the yeast's ability to convert sugars to ethanol but then again, I figure the calculations are also base on some standard of "ideal."
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Mead

Post by jeff »

rpoelking wrote:Ok, I realize that this is BEERtools and not Mead or WineTools but I have a question about the fermentability of Honey and attenuation. I've made meads and wine in the past and it's normal to have a FG less than 1.0 (Wines are usually .990). However, I cannot get BT to show a FG less than 1.00 unless I push the attenuation above 100%. Is that an intended work around? An attenuation greater than 100% doesn't make a lot of sense since it is a measure of the yeast's ability to convert sugars to ethanol but then again, I figure the calculations are also base on some standard of "ideal."
The attenuation field on the main screen is for "apparent" attenuation. This differs from "actual" or "real" attenuation in that it does not compensate for the presence of alcohol in the fermented result. Alcohol has less density than water and this directly affects the terminal gravity reading. What is the "real" attenuation of your mead found in the analysis tab area? Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff