Potential Extract from Grains -- AICG???

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Potential Extract from Grains -- AICG???

Post by just-cj »

How does BeerTools Pro calculate the potential extract for grains? I've always thought that using DBCG was the key -- 46 points times the DBCG gives you extract potential. BTP seems to use the "AICG" figure instead -- which gives me obscenely high efficiency figures. What is AICG anyway?

For example, the figure I generally see for Crisp Maris Otter is 37 points, but BTP lists it as 35.8. Likewise, Weyermann Pale Wheat is generally listed at 37 points, but in BTP it's 35.2 (again based on the AICG instead of DBCG).

Of course it's always possible I have something else like water volumes screwed up (I can't seem to figure that out very well).
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Potential Extract from Grains -- AICG???

Post by jeff »

cj in j wrote:How does BeerTools Pro calculate the potential extract for grains? I've always thought that using DBCG was the key -- 46 points times the DBCG gives you extract potential. BTP seems to use the "AICG" figure instead -- which gives me obscenely high efficiency figures. What is AICG anyway?

For example, the figure I generally see for Crisp Maris Otter is 37 points, but BTP lists it as 35.8. Likewise, Weyermann Pale Wheat is generally listed at 37 points, but in BTP it's 35.2 (again based on the AICG instead of DBCG).

Of course it's always possible I have something else like water volumes screwed up (I can't seem to figure that out very well).
AICG is as-is coarse grind which is calculated from the coarse grind dry basis and the moisture content.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Jeff, thanks for the info. The only problem now is that when I use the settings as it, I have to push the efficiency up to 90+% in order to get things where they are now (using my own spreadsheet). Any ideas where I might be going wrong? I'm sure it's in the water calculations somewhere, but I can't seem to figure it out. Guess I'll have to clear my mind later on with a few IPAs and give it another try. 8)