Clandestine Brewing - how to set up BTP schedule

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
kieran
Light Lager
Light Lager

Clandestine Brewing - how to set up BTP schedule

Post by kieran »

Hi guys,

Need some help. This is what we do when brewing:

Mill the grains, heat a body of water to mash temperature in a kettle, pour this water at mash temperature into a foam esky.

Then we slowly add the grains to the liquid, mix them in with the paddle, and then leave them for 60 minutes, or whatever to mash.

How should I set this up in BTP.

The mash in step is instantaneous, the grains hit the desired temp almost immediately.. and then are at the desired rests from then on -- but the holding vessel will lose temp over that time. There is no continuous heating in this system.. at the point the first grain touches the water - the temp is dropping, and will continue to. How should I set this up, guys?

any help?

cheers kieran!
kieran
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by kieran »

gurrrb..

I don't know how to do this! :)

There's no way to add a preheated liquid "dump" to get an immediate temp increase..

It'd be great to have Water as a "Heat Source" with a variable volume, and temperature, and have the effect of that volume addition calculated to determine the resulting temperature and volume of the mash.. Its time would be essentially '0' or maybe 1 minute (or less) because its addition is always very rapid, and the effect very direct. Of course, that water should also be able to be picked from the water profiles, to keep the mineral balances correct.

Is there some way to set this up?

cheers,
Kieran
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Clandestine Brewing - how to set up BTP schedule

Post by jeff »

kieran wrote:Hi guys,

Need some help. This is what we do when brewing:

Mill the grains, heat a body of water to mash temperature in a kettle, pour this water at mash temperature into a foam esky.

Then we slowly add the grains to the liquid, mix them in with the paddle, and then leave them for 60 minutes, or whatever to mash.

How should I set this up in BTP.

The mash in step is instantaneous, the grains hit the desired temp almost immediately.. and then are at the desired rests from then on -- but the holding vessel will lose temp over that time. There is no continuous heating in this system.. at the point the first grain touches the water - the temp is dropping, and will continue to. How should I set this up, guys?

any help?

cheers kieran!
Ok, you have revealed a bug! But for the record, this is how it's done:

Your mash-in should be configured with your two vessels: the heating vessel and the mash vessel. Set your volumes and temperatures to calculate your strike temperature. If the mash equalizes quickly put something like 30 seconds in the equalize box.

Then add a 'Rest' after the mash-in for the length of time you allow the mash to sit. The rest step calculates heat loss over time based on the calibration settings of the mash vessel (this is where the bug is, it doesn't calculate the loss). If no vessel is selected in the mash-in, you can enter the final temperature at the end of the rest manually; otherwise leave it alone.

Expect 1.0.5 really soon!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
kieran
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by kieran »

Hey Jeff..

Does the "Rest" tool just assume that the volume is still sitting in the vessel from the previous step??

The only thing is with the rest, that it asks for a "Final Temperature". Now, that is impossible to know, because based on atmospheric variations, etc. the drop in temperature while its resting will be some temperature based on the loss of the volume from the mash tun, and depend on how long the rest is. Its not something that should ever be set.. Do you get what I'm saying?

cya,
K
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

kieran wrote:Does the "Rest" tool just assume that the volume is still sitting in the vessel from the previous step??
Yes it does. But that's where the bug is in 1.0.4. The link was broken when I added the heating vessel to the mash-in step. I have already fixed it and I will compile a new update today.
kieran wrote:The only thing is with the rest, that it asks for a "Final Temperature". Now, that is impossible to know, because based on atmospheric variations, etc. the drop in temperature while its resting will be some temperature based on the loss of the volume from the mash tun, and depend on how long the rest is. Its not something that should ever be set.. Do you get what I'm saying?
You are right, you should not have to set the final temperature. But I put the field there because some may still want to put together a schedule without calibrating their vessels.

When the vessel is calibrated, heat loss is calculated by measuring the temperature at the beginning and end of a one hour rest. The drop in temperature is used to determine the heat coefficient for the vessel. This coefficient should suffice for basic prediction of losses under varying circumstances.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Version 1.0.5

Post by jeff »

1.0.5 has been posted which addresses the heat loss problem in rest steps following the mash-in. If your results still seem out of wack, please let me know. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff