How'd you make beertools pro?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

How'd you make beertools pro?

Post by Steve973 »

I'm a Java developer, and I'm always interested in what languages and tools other people are using. How'd you guys develop Beertools Pro? Which language, on what platform, what IDEs, etc? To hazard a guess, I'd imagine it's Java, or c++, or .net. Am I close?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: How'd you make beertools pro?

Post by jeff »

Steve973 wrote:I'm a Java developer, and I'm always interested in what languages and tools other people are using. How'd you guys develop Beertools Pro? Which language, on what platform, what IDEs, etc? To hazard a guess, I'd imagine it's Java, or c++, or .net. Am I close?
Something like that. :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Steve973 »

Is it a secret? Just wondering what people are using out there.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Steve973 wrote:Is it a secret? Just wondering what people are using out there.
We have several reasons for being discreet; please don't take it personally. I will say, though, that it was built entirely using the Mac. Building the Windows apps requires some pragmatic instructions for the compiler but it seems to have worked quite well.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Steve973 »

Ok, I am a new Mac owner, and I'm enjoying my experience. I haven't developed any software for the mac. Actually, I prefer linux as my development environment in general, and I specifically prefer gentoo. If you ever require any Java work, let me know and I'd be glad to help out (for free of course). Software and beer are two of my favorite hobbies, and I'd like to combine them someday.

By the way, I'm one of the people who was begging for a trial version, but I went ahead and bought the software anyway. So far, so good... I am very used to ProMash, so it'll take a bit of adjustment to get used to BeerTools Pro, but I like it so far.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks!

Post by jeff »

Your offer to help out is appreciated. We can always use help with testing; and the water profiler is going to be rewitten. This is going to require heavy calculations using matrices. If math is your thing, you might be able to keep us on track.

I just bought Parallels and have installed a copy of Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. I plan on installing a couple versions of Linux on it as well. This will come in handy when testing the Linux version of BeerTools Pro. Seems like Gentoo is the way to go. I'm looking at Ubuntu and SUSE as well. Let me know if you have any tips. Thanks again!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
kieran
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by kieran »

I have some experience with Ubuntu, and it is a great distribution. It gets regular updates, continuing support, and best of all - a plethora of supportive users willing to help anyone out to get it running! Its quite easy to use, and rarely causes headaches.
Steve973
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Thanks!

Post by Steve973 »

jeff wrote:Seems like Gentoo is the way to go. I'm looking at Ubuntu and SUSE as well. Let me know if you have any tips. Thanks again!
Gentoo is very configurable, but it requires patience since it's a "source" distribution, and you have to compile everything. The online manuals are quite helpful in setting it up, so as long as you have some time to spare, you'll be satisfied. Gentoo's forums at forums.gentoo.org is really helpful if you get stuck with something.

I'd also love to help you test anything. And I don't know what you have in mind for the water chemistry portion of BTP, but consider the following: Include presets or something that show how to treat distilled water to create the water of different regions. E.g. types and amounts of minerals to add to create the water of Britian, Germany, Belgium, etc. If you did that, you'd be way ahead of any of the other brewing software vendors. I haven't found Promash's water chemistry utility to be too helpful or useful. Hopefully you guys will come up with something better!