Importing and Exporting BeerXML

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Importing and Exporting BeerXML

Post by pcharles »

I tried to import a couple of recipes from BrewMonkey.com that were in beerxml format and BeerTools Pro refused to open them. The ones I tried were germanchoco.xml (a Bock) and Schwarzbieresque.xml (a dark lager). Any idea what the problem might be?

I assume there are plans to add a BeerXML export function, and maybe even an HTML Export function in the future. I'd like to be able to post recipes on my Dot Mac account, or other account.

Many thanks,

Paul
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

BeerXML

Post by lathe »

Can you send one or two of the problem recipes to us?

You can use the contact@ address.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
pcharles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: BeerXML

Post by pcharles »

lathe wrote:Can you send one or two of the problem recipes to us?

You can use the contact@ address.
I am not sure if one of the updates fixed it, but it is working great now. Many thanks if you did something (and even if you did not).

Have to say I love this program. It is so much fun to create something on the site and then seamlessly import it to the software.

I was telling James Spencer (Basicbrewing.com) about your software. He is also a mac user and might be interested in talking about the website and the software. You can contact him at "james at basicbrewing.com"
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BeerXML

Post by jeff »

pcharles wrote:I am not sure if one of the updates fixed it, but it is working great now. Many thanks if you did something (and even if you did not).
I was wondering that myself. I had an item on my list written "BeerXML import problem" and it is checked off. I just can't remember what I did that warranted checking it off. :roll:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Posting recipes online

Post by lathe »

pcharles wrote:I'd like to be able to post recipes on my Dot Mac account, or other accounts.
We agree. We also think that BBCode (code used in most bulletin boards) and plain text should be supported.

So we added it in the latest update (1.0.5).

We also added the beer glass color indicator to the HTML and BBCode export. We serve the image, so that you dont have to worry about uploading images.

Now you can very easily post recipes to blogs, bulletin boards and other internet sites.

To export a recipe as html, BBCode or plain text go to:

File->Export Text

Then select from the drop down menu HTML, BBCode or plain text.

This update is available in My BeerTools.
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

you guys rock
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
add1sun

BeerXML export?

Post by add1sun »

Will you be adding the ability to export to beerxml as well? I like to keep all of my recipes backed up in a "generic" format.
scottder

Re: BeerXML export?

Post by scottder »

add1sun wrote:Will you be adding the ability to export to beerxml as well? I like to keep all of my recipes backed up in a "generic" format.
Ditto on this question. It would be quite handy.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I can import BeerXML recipes, but is there a way to export them??
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Rob wrote:I can import BeerXML recipes, but is there a way to export them??
Not currently but you can submit a feature request here.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

BeerXML Export

Post by jeff »

Rob wrote:I can import BeerXML recipes, but is there a way to export them??
Very rudimentary BeerXML export has been enabled in the latest version update 1.5.7. Please post any issues experienced with exported files.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
roc-craven
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by roc-craven »

Hops is exporting, I'm guessing here, in % of the total weight of the recipe. Not in the amount (example: Amount 2 oz) The reason this is important to me is I have a brewday timer that I would be able to add an "Import hop Schedule from Beer Tools Pro" into it. To import the BTP xml. I'm sure others would also like the hops displayed in their oz/grams format instead of % of total weight of recipe.

Keep up the great work. Thanks in advance,

Jon Sheldon
www.beerbelliesbrew.com
Jon Sheldon
Bugnutty Brewing Company
Owner/Brewer/Floor Mopper
www.bugnutty.com
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

roc-craven wrote:Hops is exporting, I'm guessing here, in % of the total weight of the recipe.
The BeerXML standard requires all weights to be specified as kg. Is BTP doing this or do you think it's specifying percent?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
roc-craven
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by roc-craven »

I just came back to edit my post that it is displaying correctly. Its show the oz converted into kilos. Knowing this I can just convert them back into imperial weights. Unless of course you will have it export them like that in the future as an option. :wink:
Jon Sheldon
Bugnutty Brewing Company
Owner/Brewer/Floor Mopper
www.bugnutty.com
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

roc-craven wrote:I just came back to edit my post that it is displaying correctly. Its show the oz converted into kilos. Knowing this I can just convert them back into imperial weights. Unless of course you will have it export them like that in the future as an option. :wink:
BeerXML allows optional extensions for displaying values and I will try implement those in the future. Personally, I find the standard somewhat restrictive and feel that it could have been designed with greater flexibility in how values and units are specified. But hey, they didn't ask me did they :roll:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff