Release version and batch sparging

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Rests in sparge steps

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:One thing that was pointed out on the BB was that I didn't include rests in the sparge steps, so the graph displays a gradual increase to temp. This is because I just stir until well mixed and even temp, then drain. I don't do the 10' sparge rest because Denny says it's unnecessary, so I didn't include it. Add a rest if you want one.
One note on adding Rest steps for a batch sparge. Batch sparge only calculates correctly if the Collect steps are back to back. Any steps in between will break the chain and BTP will assume that there is no more grain left to sparge. A rest during a batch sparge should be entered in the Collect step as part of the Duration.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The complaint I read was that the method you describe gives a screwy display on the graph, showing a gradual increase from mash temperature to sparge temperature over the length of the sparge reat instead of just during the stir.

Thanks for the warning.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I just figured out that you can add a sparge "rest", if you want, by stacking 3 Collection steps with the first being the Sparge addition with no Runoff, the second a Sparge with no addition or Runoff, and the third beind a Runoff with no addition.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hmmm..

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I just figured out that you can add a sparge "rest", if you want, by stacking 3 Collection steps with the first being the Sparge addition with no Runoff, the second a Sparge with no addition or Runoff, and the third beind a Runoff with no addition.
Interesting. I suppose that would work. As I see how users work with the schedule, I will get a better picture of how it can be expanded and improved; and most of all simplified. I have a feeling that the Steps menu will grow to accommodate special situations. One 'Step' that has already been discussed before the release of BTP is the temperature correction step. This would be used to get the schedule back on track should a temperature predicted by BTP differ from an actual measured temperature.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Wouldn't the temperature error mean that either the mash tun heat capacity or the actual temperature of the added volume were wrong, so that those values should be corrected to bring the temperature inline with reality? Anyway, I know that these numbers don't always end up where they should and you do need to record that somewhere.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP