Utilization algorithms

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Utilization algorithms

Post by TCBrewguy »

Forgive my ignorance, but what should I be using the utilization algorithms for? I noticed after messing around with them that they change the stats quite a bit. Furthermore, how do I know whose algorithms to use (i.e. Mosher's, Rager's, etc)?
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

I would also like some education on this matter, since the different algorithms make such a change.

Where might one find out more on this subject? i assume that each one is tied to particular methods of brewing.....

I am noticing that my hop IBU's are different in BTP than in BT.

Al
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Formulas

Post by jeff »

You may find this article helpful:

The HBD Palexperiment Results
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Formulas

Post by notbob »

jeff wrote:You may find this article helpful:

The HBD Palexperiment Results
Hi Jeff,

I haven't had time to read the page you linked yet, but will try in a moment.

I noticed that switching from Tinseth's algorithms to Mosher's, my bittering units went from 72 to 51.

That's a huge difference. Do you think that's right? I still have to try and understand the different profiles, but this seemed to be a huge difference created just by the different profile.

Al
notbob
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by notbob »

Jeff,

Great article! I think I'll probably stick with the Mosher profile, as it's pretty much what I've been using before. It's definitely closer to what I would predict a given amount of hops would contribute to the IBU's. At least all the recipes I've created so far.

Thanks for the link, and keep up the great work!

Al
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

After reading the article I understand the algorithms/utilization section a lot more too. I went with Mosher's for Boil Time and Gravity Correction, but with Daniel's Pellet Correction - Mosher's just seems too high to me. Plus, I use a hop bag and I figured I'd get slightly less utilization anyway.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
erichonour
Light Lager
Light Lager

"BeerTools" algorithm

Post by erichonour »

Do you plan to add the "BeerTools" utilization available in the online version to BTPro? I've always assumed this was a proprietary algorithm you all derived from your own experimentation. Which of the more "standard" algorithms (e.g. Tinseth, Mosher, etc.) does it match most closely, over the full range of bittering?

EH
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: "BeerTools" algorithm

Post by jeff »

erichonour wrote:Do you plan to add the "BeerTools" utilization available in the online version to BTPro? I've always assumed this was a proprietary algorithm you all derived from your own experimentation. Which of the more "standard" algorithms (e.g. Tinseth, Mosher, etc.) does it match most closely, over the full range of bittering?

EH
That one is my algorithm (Fowler) that I developed based not on experimental data but data from charts available at the time. I wanted a way to use values "in-between" the values available on the charts, so the algorithm uses mathematical interpolation methods.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff