I've finally roosted in a new brewhouse...

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I've finally roosted in a new brewhouse...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Sorry for the absence but a couple of things happened on the way to brewing nirvana....

1) Left a great gig at Main Street Brewing in Evansville, IN to be closer to my family in Bridgeport, WV.

2) Took over as head brewer for Deep Creek Brewing in McHenry, MD on Nov. 1.

3) Spent 2 weeks making the brewery and equipment up to professional standards, ordered chemicals and new ingredients, was ready to brew on week 3 AND.... the owner walks in and says "sorry... you are not going to like this, but our new manager has decided we need more kitchen space, so I'm getting rid of the brewery and building the kitchen out into the space! This is our 2 week notice and sell the equipment for me." Good thing I had a solid contract and a good lawyer. I did sell the equipment before I left.... another one bites the dust! The read between the lines truth on this one was that the owner needed a cash infusion and partnered with this manager who had worked for Old Chicago Corp. as management for Pizzaria Uno locations. Since he did not understand the brewery's role in the operation, he did not want to learn about it of mess with it. So he demanded it go away!

4) Accepted Head Brewer position at Br
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Kepler57
Light Lager
Light Lager

Rochester Brew Scene

Post by Kepler57 »

I used to live in Rochester (Fairport) and i have to say its quite a unique community. There are decent brews to be had and a strong commitment to small business and quality in the outlying towns. Most communities have a strong crew (rowing) program, which is one of my passions. There are ample oppertunities to learn and check out this great sport.

East End Fest in the summer is a great time, so is the Buffalo Bills Training Camp in Pittsford. You might even catch some NFL Players or Pro Golfers in the Pittsford Pub (where i used to work), as its owned by the brother of Pro Golfer Jeff Sluman.

For late night food there is no better place than Gitsies downtown. Their Reubens are simply amazing! Mex also makes some great margaritas if you want a break from the beer.

If you get some time, check out the view of Lake Ontario and the Irondiquoit Bay from Webster. Pack a picnic and take a 6pack. Its worth the time.

Overall i found it to be a fun place to live for a while, with lots of interesting small town communities to explore and lots of people to meet in their twenties and early thirties.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Welcome Back

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Eric good to have you back, get settled in and fill us in OK?

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"